Cant install network card

• phero
  • Born
  • Born
  • phero

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys ..
i'm a linux newbie and i'm trying to install network card D-link DEF-530TX fast ethernet
i followed the steps but in step 4) which i suppose to compile the source file .when
i typed the command 'make -fMakefile' to generate frhine.o got an error message 'can't open kernel source'
what should do ..?!
:!:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need the kernel sources corresponding to your currently running kernel available on your computer in order to compile kernel modules. The sources are usually located in /usr/src. If you don't have them, you'll need to download, extract, and configure them there.

For example, say you are running kernel 2.6.12.1. You should download http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.12.1.tar.bz2 to /usr/src and expand it using "tar xjvf linux-2.6.12.1.tar.bz2". This will likely create a directory named "linux-2.6.12.1". Most of the time, the kernel you are running will have an extra bit of info tacked on to the end of its version number like "2.6.12.1-my_extra_info". The "my_extra_info" part may be the date it was compiled (e.g. "2.6.12.1-20050719") or perhaps some special options selected in the configuration of the kernel (e.g. "2.6.12.1-smp"). This version number info can be displayed using the command "uname -r". Create a copy of the "linux-2.6.12.1" directory with this extra version info included (e.g. "cp -r linux-2.6.12.1 linux-2.6.12.1-20050719"). Now change to this new directory (i.e. "cd linux-2.6.12.1-20050719") and copy the currently running kernel's config file there using the command "cp /boot/config-2.6.12.1-20050719 .config". You should substitute your kernel's version number of course. Now edit the file named "Makefile" and change the line that looks like "EXTRAVERSION = " to end with your kernel's extra info. If your kernel version has four pieces of version info (as in "2.6.12.1", notice the four numbers 2, 6, 12, and 1) this line would include the last number including the dot. So it would read "EXTRAVERSION = .1-20050719". If your kernel version only has three pieces of version info (as in "2.4.31", notice the three numbers 2, 4, and 31) this line would read "EXTRAVERSION = -20050719". Again, replace "-20050719" with whatever your extra version info is. Save and exit your text editor.

Now you'll need to create a couple symbolic links to this new directory. Change back to /usr/src ("cd /usr/src") and do "ln -s linux-2.6.12.1-20050719 linux". Now change to your kernel's modules directory ("cd /lib/modules/2.6.12.1-20050719") and do "ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.12.1-20050719 build" and "ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.12.1-20050719 source", again substituting your own version number.

If all went according to plan, you should now be able to compile the kernel module for your network card. If any of this is confusing I apologize. I tried to make it as newbie friendly as possible.

Since you are likely not running the same kernel version as me, you'll have to find the correct sources for yours. Source for 2.6 kernels can be found in http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/. Source for 2.4 kernels can be found in http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/. You'll need bzip2 installed to extract archives ending in ".bz2". If you don't have bzip2, you can either install it or download the kernel archive ending in ".gz" and extract with "tar xzvf linux-2.x.x.tar.gz".
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

what disto do you have installed i have that vary same card in one of my computer on my netwrok and i had no problem with it.

post the distro and i will help you

i bet you have the drivers for the card but you really dont have it configured right

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts