change user password

• Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a way to change the a user password in root, if I don't know the original password?

I just started using Linux again, after a while, and I forget my user password, but still remember the root password. I have Linux RedHat 7.1

Or how could I just delete that user and make a new one?

Thanks for any hlep. :P
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure...

As root, just type

passwd <username>

And it'll prompt you to enter a new password.

Remember, *nix is a multi-user environment. Most system administrators actively enforce users to change their passwords from the defaults (that the admin probably set in the first place). There is NO WAY for even the root user to know those passwords (short of brute-forcing). Obviously, users, darling little things that they are, forget passwords, so it's logical that the root account would have a utility to change a user's password without knowing their existing one :)
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

go to ur terminal and type
passwd < :shock: enter ur password here :D >
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright, thanks. That seems simple enough, I thought it would have been harder/more complicated.
  • David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check in the settings there may be something disclosed into there somewhere.

David
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

David wrote:
Check in the settings there may be something disclosed into there somewhere.

David

?? :wink: :idea:
  • sweinmann
  • sweinmann
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tom the great, why do you have that avatar. You know thats a FreeBSD (Unix) devil stabbing the linux penguin. If you have that avatar then why are you using Linux. Also you are using RedHat. LOL thats the most NEWBIE DISTRO EVER. Please do yourself a favor get your self a fresh copy of Gentoo, Slackware, or Debian. If you dont know how to use those try MANDRAKE. I suggest those distros to everyone.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweinmann wrote:
Tom the great, why do you have that avatar. You know thats a FreeBSD (Unix) devil stabbing the linux penguin. If you have that avatar then why are you using Linux. Also you are using RedHat. LOL thats the most NEWBIE DISTRO EVER. Please do yourself a favor get your self a fresh copy of Gentoo, Slackware, or Debian. If you dont know how to use those try MANDRAKE. I suggest those distros to everyone.

I have been using the avatar on different forums before I even knew what linux/freeBSD was, I found it through google, when I was looking for an avatar.

I use red hat because that's the only distro I can get my hands on, that's why it's 7.1 I had to get the CD for it from a linux book from the library. I have no CD burner so it's hard to get more. Once I get my better computer fixed and buy a cd burner I'll get a bunch of distros to play around with them all, and probably put FreeBSD on the computer I am using now, or get another cheap comptuer for freeBSD.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts