• Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

..what?
  • rexxy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • rexxy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had posted a topic about chmod but it should have been posted on the Programming thread. I made a mistake sorry.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, chmod belongs here.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, it does belong here. it's not programming, its a *nix command.
rexxxy wrote:
thank you.one more question, if I have a windows server I know I'm not able to do the chmod. so I'll install Linux. However, do you happen to know a workaround for these permissions that I need, 777 & 755, but for Windows?

well, the permissions in linux could possibly be interpreted for windows, you just have to know what things mean. each different is the amount of permissions for a different object. i do believe the order is owner | group | everyone. and then theres a value for each ability the people have and i believe the order is read | write | execute. a 0 means that the corresponding object does not have that permission. the values are 1 | 2 | 4 (1+2+4=7). so 777 would mean the owner of the file, the group the file belongs to, and everyone all have read|write|execute permissions. 755 would mean the owner has read|write|execute permissions but the group the file belongs to and everyone else can only read|execute. windows is different in that you can add specific users and set permissions for that user and deny them permission to a file even if they belong to a certain group (such as administrators). but it does have an everyone, users, administrators group, etc. so i guess the bigger question is, what exactly are your intentions?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts