complete noob needs help installing *sigh*

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I downloaded Ubunutu. I then put it on my disk. I restart my computer and it says start linux / install, boot from disk, Start in some grfx mode ect ect.

I clicked on boot from disk and nothing happened? I also tried start linux and nothing? At this rate im doomed to windows, Can anyone help please.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing as in its doent go anywhere and you can still navigate the menu with your keyboard, or as in it freeze/screen goes black?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well When I click the start bit when i first start my pc, Nothing happens, When I clikc boot from disk, It takes me to my dashboard but does nothing?

Im sorry for being kinda newbie about this, But its like my first time with changing OS :P
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

How did you burn the file you downloaded to the cd?

My guess is that you directly burned it as if it was a file and not an ISO image.

Quote:
You probably have recorded the .iso file to CD as a file, not as a CD image. The .iso file is a CD image and needs to be recorded as such. If you burn it as a regular file, the resulting CD will not work. Try opening the CD in any computer. You should see a few files and directories. If you see "ubuntu-xxxxx-xxxxx.iso" as the only file in the CD instead, you haven't correctly created the CD. Look for the 'Write CD image' or similar option of your favourite CD creation program and use it to record the .iso file to CD. Reboot and enjoy

I use this program:
http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

To burn an ISO image to a disk you simple insert a blank cd, got Actions>Burn Image and select the ISO image and the correct Drive.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just clicked on the downloaded ubuntu file, Then it installed it to my disk as an image im sure it was anyway.

When I restart my pc i get all those options but some of them dont do anything * sighs *

ill have another look at booting it, If it does not work ill download a different version of linux lol
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you never burn the image to a cd and booted from it?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just checked my disk, all the files are on the disk that is needed , Im gonna give this install another shot :P
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just added what i downloaded from http://www.ubuntu.com

Its not working though
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also It is saying the file is .ISO
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Give me a complete and detailed list of what you did.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to http://www.ubuntu.com > went to download > I downloaded 6.0.6 the older version > click on the downloaded version > Installed it to disk > restarted > then nothing ?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

installed it to what disk, Using what software?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only disks I have ( specs are fine according to the site )

Philips-CD-R 700MB 80 minutes 52x speed

software used to burn = Power2go
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

So the disk has all the files and not a single file ubuntu-xxxxx-xxxxx.iso?

When you try to go to the boot menu of your computer and select your CD drive what happens? Does it just boot into windows or does it just have a blank screen?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Cd has all the files on it, Not just one.

When I choose boot from cd, I get a black screen with some writing saying " Booting from disk ....... " then it just loads up windows as normal.

Im currently re-downloading the file. Just to make sure its not corrupt in any way what so ever.

As the file is downloading I may take a look at this Burning software you pointed me to, Im just so confused.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard of vista machines that dont like to boot from cd's, is yours a custom or from a manufacture, you might head over to the hardware forum and ask them about it. I think there is some bios setting you need to change, not certain thought.

You might want to wait for some of the other guys to come and check out your problem.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

All I know is That I am running on windows vista home premium spoof, I hate the whole " Vista " thing, Thats why I want to move to linux, If its a bIos setting then i can change that from when i restart my computer, but this file is stil only on a 27% download

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

Is that what you mean by BIOS issues?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just heard that vista certified motherboards have a special BIOS setting that has a protetive feature that makes it really hard to downgrade (upgrade) to winXP, I'm not sure if this applies to any other OS.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you change it from the boot up menu?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have it, the feature would be in the BIOS someplace.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm ok Ill check when this download is complete, * sigh * I didnt think it would be this annoying l o l
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before going and playing with your bios (too late?) go back and burn the disk again, except right click the .iso file and choose open with... and pick your power2go burning software. If you simply burn the single iso file to cd, it won't exactly work. Doing it this way, you should be able to use windows explorer and see several folder and files on the cd.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have not touched the BIOS settings yet, And I will give that a shot soon, Thanks
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a couple of little hints from lots and lots of experience with installing linux.

Burn the cd slow.. not over 16x

Don't boot from a dvd burner if at all possible.. No idea why, but linux cd's don't seem to like them.

Look up any first boot prompt options for your distro.. acpi=off commonly cures a no boot scenario.

Finally, if it continues to boot the previous OS over everything else disable that drive in the bios. You will need to re-enable it at the restart after installation.

edit:: One more thought.. You did do a complete erase on any cd-rw before burning the image on it? That caught me out a few times too.

Ubuntu 7.10 has given me many many headaches. I think the installer is buggy. They seem to have inherited the debian disease of faulty install isos ;)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you downloaded the original file, why did you choose ubuntu 6.06? you should download ubuntu 7.10 if you want the newest version.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tried them both but I have been burning at 24X or something like that, So I will Re burn it with the slower speed.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

is your computer a desktop or a laptop? my friend has a dell and he had a similar problem where we had to add an extra option to the kernel to boot

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts