connecting to the internet

• dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am installing red hat 8 on my slave (when i get it working) i think most of my hardware will work but i need to some how connect it to the internet. i have a wireless network (belkin) but i don't know if i ca get drivers for it. i have a spare 56k modem but i think its w win modem.
WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

dqualter wrote:
i am installing red hat 8 on my slave (when i get it working) i think most of my hardware will work but i need to some how connect it to the internet. i have a wireless network (belkin) but i don't know if i ca get drivers for it. i have a spare 56k modem but i think its w win modem.
WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!

You mean you have a wireless network card that is made by Belkin, or a WAP device made by Belkin?

Either way, find a card that is compatible with RH 8, (any of the orinoco cards should work... as I am sure others shall too; check the distro's website to find a hardware compatibility list).

Buy it, install it. :)

It could very well be that the Belkin is supported, however, if that were the case, a default install of RH should find it, as it loads everything.

Cheers.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

im very sorry i didnt explain myself very well . im just installing linux on to my machine and would like to surf the net , i only however have "win modems". my wireless network is on the net . my first real question is can i share the internet connection from a win XP pro to redhat using my Wlan and would my network adapter ( i have not purchesed yet) work. i am looking at http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2457482364&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45622 for my card as it is the same make as the card in the server.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm i didn't quite get the picture .. do you have 2 pc's ( one win other linux ) or both on the same ?

anyway you will need to have a acces point somewhere in your house that is conneced to your modem or the pc sharing the internet connection.
Personnaly i'm not a fan of connection sharing from pc.

At home i have a WiFi acces point attached to my modem and the rest of the pc's have a wireless cards.

To see id te wifi card s supported on linux i would go to [url]ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net[/url] and see if the card is supported. If it isn't i would choose one that is on the list. otherwise you will have to use linuxant drivers but that is for payment. Btw ndiswrapper is exactly the same as linuxant as it uses the windows drivers to let your card work.

I hope this helps a bit as i didn't quite get the picture of your setup/problem :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The part that confuses me is, you have a wireless network on the Internet, but you don't say which machines if any have wireless cards, or even if that is what you are attempting to make function.

I am going to make the following assumptions:
* You have a second PC running Linux that you wish to have access the Internet

* You have a primary system which is windows which is already attached to the net in some fashion.

* You have wireless access in your dwelling to some form of broadband.

Based upon these assumptions, I will in-turn, assume the following;

* Your primary workstation is on the internet wirelessly

* You do not have a wireless card for your Linux box and are looking for some means of getting that on the network.

If these assumptions are correct, then you have several options. Generally, wireless WAP devices come with physical ports for direct access -- YMMV, since I am unfamiliar with the Belkin model. If this is the case, you can simply plug your linux box's rj-45 connected ethernet cable into one of those ports and it should be good to go. If this is NOT the case, you have several choices; all involve spending money.
* Buy a (compatible) wireless card for your Linux box. Of course, when I say "compatible" I mean with the OS, not the WAP -- 802.11x is 802.11x.

* Buy a crossover cable and use the (assumed) ethernet port on your Windows box, to share your internet connection with the Linux box. NOTE: It must be a crossover, not a standard ethernet cable.

* Buy a switch or Cable/DSL router. Follow installation instructions. :)

If your situation is wildly different than I have gone through here, perhaps you may wish to re-examine your explanation.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts