console or gui?

• ping_ping
  • ping_ping
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

im gonna be using freeBSD in one of our school project, i havent installed it in my system yet coz im having problems ( i dont know if the problem is with my VMware or my CD rom ) anyway, we are required to do networking using freeBSD and i know that freeBSD has a strong TCP/IP networking. Im not so sure with my skills on console, i plan to use GUI but i dont know which one is better for a beginner like me...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• m1ck97
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • m1ck97
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unix/linux is where the money is generally, due to the low amount of people able to use the OS's. Learning the background to the operating system is always good, especially when most actions are based off command lines.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, the TCP/IP stack that linux makes use of as well as Windows XP *IS* FreeBSD's implementation of the TCP/IP stack.

Frankly, when I staretd using FBSD there wasn't really a gui available. :) I would stick with non-gui, but that's me. I think you will learn a lot more if you have to actually figure it out.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea...pretty much in the console you'll learn more but gui is easier. as always.
although the console may be more frustrating for someone new to the system, the more work the greater the reward ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts