Creating a file server out of Debian

• MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Guys,

I have a laptop running Debian and I want to turn it into a file server with some hard drives hanging off of it.

What tips should I know when setting it up as a file server? I need to have windows authenticate to it automatically without asking for a password everytime I try to connect as well.

Thanks guys!
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can change the way Windows logs on in the Control Panel. I think it's under "Users", but don't quote me on that, I'm on my Mac right now.

For file serving, it shouldn't take much more effort than simply getting the hard drives set up, partitioned, and shared. If you're on a home network, you might want to consider setting a static IP for the computer so that you can always access it by hostname or IP address.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to get to those files without having to enter username and password, you're going to have to authenticate to a domain.

The fastest way to accomplish this would be to set up a Samba DC on the file server. Once you've done this, on the Windows machines, right-click My Computer and go to Properties > Computer Name > Change, select the "Domain" option and enter your domain name (specified in your smb.conf).

When you set up your domain controller, remember that you must add the client's machine name as a user to samba - and that you must add any users you want to be authorized to it as well.

Once it's set up right, Windows will authenticate to the DC and there won't be any need for you to re-enter username and password to get to anything in that domain.

If the Windows machines are XP Home or XP Media Center, you can't do this without applying a tweak, which escapes me at the moment (but I'm sure Google knows where it is).
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info.

If I setup my machine as a Samba DC, when I login to Windows it authenticates from Samba? So then will I need to use LDAP even?

I might want to just so I can put it on my resume ;)

Thanks for the tip.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't have to use LDAP, but it certainly can. If you're going to go that route, you may as well configure in Kerberos too as this will give you some experience in the requirements to connect to true Active Directory domains.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool, thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts