Creating a Linux operating system

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is creating a linux operating system possible and if so how can it be done?

I am wanting a challenge and I am wondering on how i get started on it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like this is what you're looking for. ?yes?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks like it thank you.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you're welcome :]

if you have any more questions feel free to post away.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to let you know I am new to Linux and thanks again for the link. I am wanting to build my own os but the book is saying that i must know the basics of linux that i do not know. Is there a place that i can go to, to either learn or can you possibly help me.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Youre new to linux and you wanted to make one from scratch, talk about a challenge. You need to learn it first, just use a disto and try to make things work,
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm..yea, i would have to also suggest downloading a distro and playing with it. a livecd would be best as you can run the distro right off the disk - no need to install it, unless you want to. examples of such distro's are ubuntu and fedora 7 (they have two versions, the cd is live and the dvd is install) and there are plenty others. check out different distro's at http://www.distrowatch.com

for more on the basics of linux, check out this article http://www.freeos.com/articles/4414/
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

yer you dont wanna build a linuz system when you dont no anything about it...
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol he likes impossible challenges? ^_^
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

That definantly does sound like a challenge. I've used linux for about a year now and am yet to rebuild a kernel and other stuff like that. I would almost think that you could just take an existing distribution and customize it like crazy until it doesn't look like the distro you started with, the trim it down so that an image of it will fit on a cd or dvd and make it bootable.

There is a program (I think for windows) called My Slax that allows you to download a Slax distribution and add or remove things at your will and make it custom. Maybe if you have a windows computer that might be something to try.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd say downloading and installing a distro onto your harddrive over using a live cd would probably be more fruitful as far as learning how linux works goes.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

True, true, very true, it does take a fair chunk of memory to run a live cd, and you do lose one of your optical drives going this way (bad if you only have one!) But making the live cd could be advantageous because then if he does have that windows installation, he could work on perfecting his live cd, and once he has it the way he likes it, then format and write the live cd image to hard disk. And to make multiple partitions, like having one mount point for /home and another for / and so on, could be done afterwards. There are so many options, but every single one pretty much does the same thing.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

Though very true I still can't find myself to recommend a live cd to people. But either way whatever you decide to choose, have fun with it! Caution: Working with Linux will make time fly by.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

No joke, sometimes I am working on something or even just surfing the internet and I realize how tired I'm getting, and I look at the clock and it is the wee hours of the morning! The best thing about using linux is that you can do whatever the hell you want with it. I like that if I somehow manage to break it and render it useless, I can just reinstall without having to worry about finding my product keys or re-registering my software. And I've even gotten my 11 year old cousin started on it with a little help from the admin at his school who decided to go all FOSS.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course the fun part is trying to fix your distro when you break it : D
That's how I learned most of my linux knowledge.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but I'm pretty impatient, and if I am right in the middle of some hair brained idea and wanting to try it, I usually don't want to spend time figuring out which file is missing or what needs to be adjusted or something. I can get reinstalled in about an hour, so that it what I usually do. Being able to trouble shoot it when it is busted and knowing how to fix it is vital though, holy cow it is! The entire week I was in RH033 my instructor John Walker kept telling us that we need to know the exact location of all these different configuration files and what most of the settings and options and their values are just to be able to make it through the RHCT certification test. But a test is just one thing, if you have a server that is down and impeding office workflow, you better be able to get it back going PDQ.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 133,00.asp

I read this article today, got it in an email news letter I get. It is a pretty good read, good step by step. I think I am going to give this a try myself, it looks like fun.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im doing the same myself.
Darksat Linux has a nice ring to it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts