Debian Linux Nvidia Help

• trojan
  • Born
  • Born
  • trojan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm a newbie at Linux, i am trying to get Nvidia geforce fx 550 to work on Debian. I have upgraded my kernel to 2.6.8. However when I try to install nvidia driver it says it is unable to find kerel-source.

Can ne1 tell me where I can download the kernel-source for 2.6, it is the nvidia 8756 driver. Also help on installing it would b greatly appreciated.

Thanku.[/quote]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

if your using debian apt is your best friend. in the terminal as root type

apt-cache search kernel-source

that or you could just search for kernel and a list of things should come up with a description for each. choose the one matching your kernel version and download with this command

apt-get install nameofdownload.

to install the drivers i believe you need to edit your inittab to boot into a runtime level 3. reboot and at the terminal log in and execute the file you downloaded from nvidia then follow the instructions. you could then do

startx

and if you see the nvidia logo then the drivers were installed correctly. all thats left is to edit the inittab back to what it was. that should be it. if something comes up or you need me to clarify anything just ask. and by the way the apt commands can be used for many apps you might need for linux.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts