dedicated server problems

• xoog
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • xoog

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I have recently got my own dedicated server and the company I purchased the server from have provided me with my SSH username/password and the root password(for SU).

I want to perform a few updates to my server, however I'm having encountering countless problems because I can't log in as root to my server.

One of the problems, for example, is that I want to upgrade gdimage, and install awstats... However I cant upload the files required. I get the error message:
Quote:
Permission denied.
Error code: 3
Error message from server: Permission denied
Request code: 3

I'm using winSCP and I prosume I get this problem because im not logged in as the root.

Another problem I'm having is that I need to install samba - however I also lack the required permissions to do this.

Also wget doesnt seem to work, I always get the message "wget: not found"

I've tried contacted the server company, and they haven't been replying to my emails.
I'm using FreeBSD.

If anyone could direct me as to where I'm going wrong, your help is MUCH appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like you went wrong with the host you selected.

Get something like Putty and SSH into the server with that using your username and password, then su to root. If this fails, you don't have the right root password.

On a different note, I highly doubt you really want to be installing samba on that machine.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts