Dialing Distro?

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

My parents have a dialup account for internet access, but there are 4 computers in the house. Right now I have them all connected by a little switch in the basement, and internet access it distrubuted by a proxy set up on my brother's computer. So, when someone want's to get online, they go to him and say "Can you connect so I can check my email?" What I am looking for is a code suggestion that I can put on a stand alone computer (maybe an old laptop, somthing with a low power useage) that I has web server on it that basicly has "Connect" and "Disconnect" buttons, as well as a status that shows if it is online, and how long it has been connected. This will be used as the gateway/router so all they have to do is go to a local webpage on that computer and click a button for everyone to get online, then click it off when they are done. I have a stong feeling there is a Linux distro out there to do just that, but I can't find it. Any help?
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes idd your idea can be made with a linux box. Tbh i'm not an expert with linux and dial-up as i never dealt with it.

about the linux distro, just about any linnux distro can be used for it from the moment it is configured in the right way.

now i would suggest you something small (like damn small linux, about 40 mb big) could be the deal with you.

I know there are some distros wich you can boot from cd ( like knowppix ) and turn your pc into a firewall gateway dhcp,..... perhaps you could look into that aswell

you could find your luck here try and do a search

about the set-up stuff and questions, most likely here you will find some answers :)

GL !
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've set that up on FBSD boxes before -- even MUXed two 56k modems together, though I have not done it in Linux.

Try this;
http://www.linuxnetmag.com/en/issue4/m4druck1.html

It looks like they have step-by-step procedures. By the by, you should not have to have a "connect" button, per se. Once a client computer makes a dial up request the dialup system should process and proceed autonomously. No human interaction required.
At a show I did for my old company -- all we had were phone lines, so we ordered two -- we muxed together the lines using two Courier modems and had the dial system connect if one fo the 10 or so systems on the tables were not already dialed out. I know it works for FBSD, so there should be an application or script available to handle TUN for Linux -- any linux distro.

Cheers.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

And another;
http://www.marcelgagne.com/Linux_internet_gateway.html
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
By the by, you should not have to have a "connect" button, per se. Once a client computer makes a dial up request the dialup system should process and proceed autonomously. No human interaction required.

That sounds helpful, but this line is also a voice line. I do not want the gateway dialing out every time one of the computers makes a random TCP request, like sync the clock with NIST, or get a virus update, etc, I want the human factor in there so they have to click the button to connect it. In the same respect, I want a human to have to disconnect it so that the line isn't dropped due to inactivity. You might be waiting for an auction or something to end, thereby making you idle and the connect would get dropped in a few mins.
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to look at Smoothwall. It has a server with all sorts of admin functions - among them being the ability to connect and disconnect. And to top it all off, it's main purpose is a firewall, too. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts