DNS/ hosting help

• lego-man
  • lego-man

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, hopefully you guys can help me.
I recently got an older pc, and put redhat linux 9 onto it. I am now using it as a web server, ftp server and dns server.
The web server works if i connect through a router but i cannot setup my connection statically.
I spoke to my broadband service, blueyonder. They said my connection is dynamic, but i have had it for 2 years and my ip address hasnt changed once. But i cannot setup linux to connect to the net, without the router. Can anyone help me?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lego-man
  • lego-man

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, seeing as no one can help me setup that way, maybe you could help me to get my dns server working?
My isp has provided me with dns server addresses, and i tried to register those with godaddy, with my account. But it does not recognise them. Could anyone help me with setting that up?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't respond, as I really wasn't sure what it was you were asking.

You have a DSL router? If so, you will have to port forward requests back to your Linux box. Forward port 80 requests for http traffic, 53 for DNS queries, etc.

If it is a DSL 'router/"modem"', of course you need it; it does the signal conversion.

Again, I am not sure what it is you are asking, so I might be wildly off target.

Cheers.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have a domain you wish your 'dns server' to be authority for? You know, you need two... right? In disparate networks no less for redundancy.

Setting up DNS can be a daunting task, are you sure this is something you wish to pursue at this juncture?

Cheers.
  • lego-man
  • lego-man

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the modem, i know i need that, but then the rj45 cable from that i want to be able to plug straight into my server. But i cannot get it setup, because there is no dhcp server on my network, unless i connect with the router.
But i dont want to do that, so i have tried setting it up statically, but it wouldnt work. That was my first problem.

My second problem, is that i have a manual to setup a dns server on my pc, but when it tells me to identify my dns servers to where i got my domain from (godaddy). i dont understand how to setup the name servers.

the router i connect through (linksys WRT54G) gives me these primary, secondary and tertiary dns:

DNS 1: 62.31.144.39
DNS 2: 195.188.53.175
DNS 3: 62.31.112.39
how do i use these with go daddy to setup the name servers?

Thanks for your replies

edit: rj45 i think :S (a normal lan cable)
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

:scratchhead: Isn't RJ-58 coax?
  • lego-man
  • lego-man

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh, sorry, i got confused. but any ideas with the dns?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

rj-58 is indeed coax, it was also called 'thinnet' (10 base 2) and I have not seen it used in more years than I care to remember.

How exactly are you connecting this directly to your computer? Do you really have a thinnet card?!

As for DHCP, that is easy enough. Grab ISC's dhcpd;
http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/dhcp/

Set it up, and bingo... you have a dhcp server.

Though, I would get a second NIC for your internal network, for which to bind the dhcpd -- thus providing the non-internet addressable IP's for your internal network.

OK. You have as domain from GoDaddy, and you wish to be the authority for that domain -- and you have a manual. Oh boy.

Well, you need to set up your dns server as authority for that domain. It's ok if it provides the same IP you are using as the DNS server itself for webserving. (Generally 'stacking' is a bad idea, but we'll forego that in this case).

Er hang on, wait sec. I think I misunderstood this whole thing. You want an internal network, and you need machines behind that to be able to do DNS queries (i.e. surf the web)?

That's the only reason I can see for your next statement about the DNS servers in your local wireless router.

Maybe you had better start over and explain what it is you really want.
  • lego-man
  • lego-man

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, sorry for not making sense.

I want to host a web site from my computer, at the moment i am hosting it, and using a dot.tk site, to link to my ip address. That all works fine.

But i have recently bought a domain at godaddy. i want to be able to host from my computer, to that address.

So i would need a dns server rite?
But i didnt want to pay for one, so i thought i could host one?

What i am asking for is help to setup the dns server, where to start, how to link it with godaddy?

My original problem was i could only connect to the internet throught my router, but i thought that wouldnt be a problem, because i can just forward traffic through it.

I dont need an internal network, becuase it is just family using wireless connection from the router.

Any better?
  • viper_wolf
  • Born
  • Born
  • viper_wolf

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try using a free DDNS service like http://www.dnsexit.com/
  • billkennedy32
  • Born
  • Born
  • billkennedy32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this reg a domain on godady or network solutions, then go ;here get an account at everydns.net :) free for your first 25 domains, then add there dns names in your name registers account, real nice ddns , I have 30 domains running on wamp server and smootwall for the router, up for a year now works great
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can't run your own authoritative DNS server because you don't have a static IP address. You can run DNS for your internal network, but that's it.

If you want to host your site from that computer, you're going to have to use a service like DDNS.

As to actually connecting up to the internet, on RHL9 you have a graphical configuration app for this (redhat-config-network?). If you have a dynamic address from your provider, check the box that says "Automatically obtain IP address".

If you didn't install X (you don't have a graphical environment), the configuration files are in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts - I believe. It's been a while since I touched RedHat 9.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell every RHL 9 user - upgrade. Redhat 9 has not been supported for at least a couple years now. If you're used to Redhat and want something similar, I would suggest CentOS or Fedora Core. It makes little sense to go through configuring a server from the ground up that's already obsolete.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts