DNS? Or something else?

• jjfletch
  • Born
  • Born
  • jjfletch

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't really know where to post this, but since my server is Unix-based, I thought I'd try here. I recently nameserved one of my domains, but am unable to access it. At first, I thought it just needed to propagate through the system, however, I am even unable to access it when I type the IP address directly into my browser. Stranger still, I am able to access my Plesk interface, which is accessed by typing in the IP followed by : port.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and how to fix it? The hacks at the company where my server is located apparently don't know what to do.

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow. This is really lacking a ton of information, and the things that are included are at times confusing.

You built a DNS resolver and began running named services for a domain, which you have control of.

First and foremost, not being able to hit it by IP has nothing to do with DNS; DNS is just the name resolution, so it seems you may have more than one issue.

If you do a dig or an nslookup on your host.domain name, does it show your name server as primary? (What is the domain and the host? i.e. http://www.yourdomain.com)

There are so many ways in which a named box could have problems, you're going to have to be more specific.
Also, what version of bind are you running?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts