Domain membership required for proxy access?

• dugc
  • Born
  • Born
  • dugc

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a web based product which is to be accessed in Ubuntu based touch screen terminals from within Windows 2003 AD domains in schools. I am not sure whether I will need to set up full domain access to gain internet access or not? In the past I have got Suse to join the domain but it requires a lot of input both from myself and from the ICT staff. All schools in the area connect through a proxy server, so perhaps I could bypass the domain and connect straight to this?

Failing that, is there a simple way to gain limited access to the domain (i.e. just internet access)?

Thanks for any help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually, as long as the PC can get an IP address from the router, it should have internet access. However, if the proxy server is ISA and requires authentication, that could cause a problem.
  • dugc
  • Born
  • Born
  • dugc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply, Don. I am going to try accessing without domain membership, but I have tried briefly before and it didn't seem to work.

Another thing I will try is installing "Likewise" which looks like it will make joining an AD domain in Ubuntu as easy as it is in Suse.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let us know what happens.
  • dugc
  • Born
  • Born
  • dugc

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have now tried gaining internet access through proxy servers without domain access in a few schools, and so far have been successful. It is a lot simpler to get connected now, and hopefully more reliable.

I also tried "Likewise" in a couple of situations for domain access. It is okay - I had a few problems though, and found that the built-in Domain joining tool you get in openSuse is better.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts