Edit files on Ubuntu from Windows

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got Ubuntu 7.04 installed, so far almost everything seems to be going pretty smoothly as far as connecting through VNC, using PuTTy to connect via SSH, apt-get'ing ssh, apache, mysql, php, phpmyadmin.

I haven't been able to figure how to edit files from my Windows laptop without using VNC to view the text-editor on the Ubuntu box though.

I read somthing about SSH file transfers, but I haven't found it in a form I understand though.

How can I edit text files from my Ubuntu box on my Windows laptop without having to use VNC to view an editor on the Ubuntu boxes desktop ?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting FTP (proftpd) working seems to have solved that problem for now.

It would be nice not to need to have both an SSH & FTP command prompt going though.
I chown name:group 'ed my /var/www folder for Apache so that works like I'm used to now.
I'm guessing I should just chown configuration files temporarily when I need to edit them. :scratchhead:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having SSH & Proftp setup, I can use Filezilla from Windows just like I normally would, I revisited the "View/Edit" context menu item in Filezilla, with SSH going I can set that menu item to my normal Windows Notepad2 & edit pretty seamlessly.

For the most part I can do everything I need with just Filezilla to bridge between the Windows XP laptop & Ubuntu box.
PuTTy is kept handy to quickly chown files/directories if needed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts