Error while FTP a file

• varma
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • varma
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I have to put some files from Windows to AIX box. I am able to put small files and when I am trying to put more than 1 MB file I am getting the following error:

======
An error occurred copying a file to the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to put files on
the server
======

Can any one help me what is the reason and to overcome this.

Thanks in advance

Varma
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

it sounds like theres a 1MB cap on the server for file size. could you use a program like winrar to create multiple archives of the file, size being < 1MB and upload those files to the server?
  • varma
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • varma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Anarch,

Thanks for the reply. The file is a RPM file and how come I can create into multiple archives. How can we remove the cap for file size on the server.

Varma
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well that would require administrative access to the server. do you have that?
for dividing up the file, you could use winrar. download and install it from http://www.rarlabs.com, then explore to where the rpm is stored. right click on the file and choose add to archive... then you'll be given the option to divide the file up into mutiple files and just set that as like 900kb, then it'll create multiple rars and you can extract any of them and it will extract them all back into one file
  • varma
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • varma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for explaining about winrar. Is it required to install in AIX box also to extract them back into one file. Next, I am connecting the AIX box with root user only. Even though, I am connecting with root user, I am getting that error.

Thanks
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Winrar won't run on AIX. There are other compression tools for that. I would contact the administrator of the AIX box and ask him to remove the quota that's preventing you from uploading a 1MB file.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i thought u were transferring from windows to aix?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to correct the terminology, you mean compress them back to one file not extract. Extracting is when they are separated. I still don't get the 1 MB quota especially if you are logging in as root.
  • webseoservice
  • webseoservice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think using rar to upload & extract them on your server. or try another uploader
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are root, why do you have a 1MB limit?

Are you simply trying to over extend the filesystem that is your intended target with the one large file?

That is to say, if you do a df-k on the AIX system, is the dir root you are trying to place the file too small to handle such a large file?

Do you ssh to the AIX node? If so, use WinSCP to copy the files over via SSH -- I guess it could be an implementation problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts