Even Jamie of Mythbusters says switch to Linux !

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... tml?page=3

Quote:
Most features can be set up as options. Why not start with a computer loaded with basic stuff that works 100 percent of the time? Then, give us the option of adding the bells and whistles. There's another solution available to consumers: Switch to a Linux-based OS such as Ubuntu. Since most Linux OSs are free, there's no business reason to bloat up the system with feature frills.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why can't I keep both Unix and Windows? Why do I have to pick one? It's not an election where I have to pick one candidate who can only do part of the job. I can have as many OSes as I want. One works where another doesn't. What does Jamie know anyway.

Side note: I use FreeBSD. I went back to it after I had Red Hat and I couldn't open the new RPM because I didn't have the new RPM. That was the end of Linux.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
What does Jamie know anyway.

Have you ever seen Mythbusters ? :scratchhead:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

My heroes are Jamie Hineman, Carl Sagan, and Red Green. I always knew that Jamie was a smart fellow!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
What does Jamie know anyway.

Have you ever seen Mythbusters ? :scratchhead:

...i dont think he has.. lol

and don, what do you mean? of course you can't open a file if you dont have it.. but do you mean you couldn't open a newer rpm package because you didn't have the newer rpm packager / unpackager?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess I should note there's nothing wrong with running Windows, I'm actually typing this message on a laptop running Windows.

I just thought it was pretty cool to see the mustache man suggesting Ubuntu as an alternative. :D
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well yea, windows is 1 of the 4 os's i have installed >.< i wouldn't ever suggest everyone should use linux. theres some people that are so illiterate i dont even think they should be allowed to touch a keyboard >.< i just think that linux should definitely be more widely promoted as a viable alternative to windows for competent users.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

My point was that there is a big obsession with picking one or the other when there are usually more than 2 choices and that's not just with computers. If your hero were so good, he would have said, add Linux to your network for more versatility.

Secondly, when I was running Red Hat 8 and I needed the new package manger to open a package, I downloaded it but the new package manager was a package itself. It needed itself to open itself but it couldn't open itself because it wasn't opened. Is that any clearer? Probably not but it's that type of idiocy sent be back to FreeBSD where I started and still remain.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
My point was that there is a big obsession with picking one or the other when there are usually more than 2 choices and that's not just with computers.

That's why I'm a windows administrator at work, I use my macbook for nearly everything at home, and have a desktop with linux for experimenting and doing server stuff. Really, it don't matter which you use, just so long as each system or platform can work in peaceful harmony with each other. Can you hear the little tweety birds singing after reading that?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I hear the blues on a 24/7 blues station from the UK, no talk, no commercials. It's sounds better than the birds.

http://38.96.148.26:7890/

Start rocking whenever you want.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always get kind of suspicious when ever anyone passes me an IP address like that, I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to the drive by downloads and stuff. And my research of port 7890 brought mixed results. I'll just rock out to my known good music sites.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's a "drive by download"?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive-by_download
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe we should submit some sort of "Is Linux better than Windows" myth to Mythbusters. :scratchhead:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then it will just be turned into a contest between Jamie and Adam to see who can build a better mouse trap with only $25 and 45 minutes, Jamie will use his motorola phone with linux embedded, and Adam will go a couple hundred bucks over his budget to buy vista.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma, That site is ok. If you don't trust that IP and port # the go to
http://www.bluesradio.co.uk/
and click on listen now.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
...Secondly, when I was running Red Hat 8 and I needed the new package manger to open a package, I downloaded it but the new package manager was a package itself. It needed itself to open itself but it couldn't open itself because it wasn't opened. Is that any clearer? Probably not but it's that type of idiocy sent be back to FreeBSD where I started and still remain.

yup, that makes more sense. but redhat 8? you do realize how long ago that was, yes? lol cuz they've gone through rh9, fc1-6, f7&8 >.< 'ts kinda like using windows 98 & saying it doesn't work because it blue screens all the time, so i'll never use windows again ;]
but *shrug, to each his own.

joebert wrote:
Maybe we should submit some sort of "Is Linux better than Windows" myth to Mythbusters.

but then how would they test "better"? ;P :lol:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes AnarchY SI I remember when how long ago it was. I'm sure Linux has improved somewhat but I can't why it gets as much press as it does. Linux and Unix alike are still way behind on finishing their 'user friendly' chapter while they continue to expand the chapter on 'geeks'.

Now. my abandonment of Linux may not go on forever. I have an Ubuntu CD somewhere and I will give it a shot one of these days. You'll be the first to know how it goes.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah, awesome :D
you know, fedora also has a livecd out.. O=)

and if you choose to install it one of them and have wifi, in my experience, fedora works better out of the box with wifi. ubuntu took a (very) small amount of configuration for me and a system reboot. fedora just connected to a wireless network.
mm..i think you using linux again would ALMOST be as big as ATNO hitting 20k posts >.<
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe ATNO should make his 20,000th post on the newly-upgraded Ozzu from Don's new Linux box. How epic would that be?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

that would be like, more epic than downing illidan (O_o)

if you know what i'm talking about.. thats awesome. hahah

don..you better get workin on a new box.. the newly upgraded ozzu will require quite the specs to handle the load ;P
(that and its just fun building pcs with ridiculous specs, lol)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts