fakeraid support by default?

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

soo my buddy just put together a new computer and wants to setup raid0. he wants to mainly operate in linux (has xp x64 installed for games) but then came the question: how do we go about this?
so i'm posing the question, does any current distro support fakeraid by default?

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you mean a software controlled raid? I know redhat and fedora can do a software raid, as opposed to a hardware raid where you have a special scsi card and back plane like in servers. I guess I just don't really see why he would use a raid0, it just seems kind of old and out dated.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I guess I just don't really see why he would use a raid0, it just seems kind of old and out dated.

because its fast & cheap.
but i might mean software raid (O_o) basically he's got the motherboard & sata drives with no hardware raid controller. so the raid controller would be the OS with the motherboard telling it to be raid?
something to that effect..
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

We did that in RH133, but I can't remember how exactly and my books are all boxed up right now so I can't get to them. But I do remember that there is a thing in fdisk so that you can set certain partitions to be your raid, then there was some little application to make it happen. It was kind of silly when we did it though because the computers we were using only had one hard drive in them so we had to kind of cheat a little. So you're doing the raid0 for the performance rather than the disaster recovery I take it?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes.. thats what raid 0 is. if he wanted disaster recovery he'd go for raid 1, or if he had more hdd's possibly raid 0+1.
i think there's a utility called dmraid which you have to install in a live cd in order to create the raid array and then before rebooting into the system you have to install it into the new system as well and hope it works. but we were looking for something simpler than that :-X
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what raid0 is, I just think it is kind of silly when you could get a third hard drive (if you don't already have at least that many) and go with a raid5 and get the best of both worlds. Or be super macho and do a raid6. And if you were god, then you could do a raid6+1.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

eh..shrug. lol not my rig
if it was i would probably go raid0 or raid0+1 >.<

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts