Fedora Core 5

• bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so I am really new to this. I burned the iso's to 5 cd's, installed it. Once it is done it has me reboot, so I did. But when it rebooted it went straight to windows. I have read a few other threads like mine and you tell everyone to make sure it is installed on the same hdd that windows is on, well the one windows is on is just too small. I bought a new 250gb hdd. So that leaves me with my 20gb hdd with windows, my slave 120 with just a few GB's left on it and my clean 250gb. Now the only option is to install on the 250gb and nothing else. I just need to know what to do.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

one option would be to install the GRUB boot loader to your primary hard drive (hd0), basically the one that windows is on. that wont affect your windows install at all, just the boot loader that windows puts on the drive. i think a better option would be to go into your bios into the advanced settings and change the boot priority of your hard drives. tell it to boot your 250GB drive first and then save settings and exit, now your system will reboot and you'll be confronted with the bootloader and a choice of which operating system you'd like to boot into :]
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got it installed, now I have another issue that it seems no one on the fedora forum can or will help me with. So I will copy and paste the post.

Quote:
A friend just installed FC5 for me. I noticed I cannot connect to any webpages or even ping anything, not even the network for both sides. I have tried restarted the router and modem along with the computer. Nothing. I really need a solid solution since FC5 is installed on the same computer and windows takes too long to reboot to reply. If anyone has a solid answer or anything, please help me out. I really love FC but don't want to have to get rid of it because of this issue.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

when linux is booting, do you ever see something like..
Quote:
Bringing up interface eth#: [ Failed ]
?

also, go to System > Administration > Network, you'll have to enter your admin password and then the network configuration dialog will come up. here it will show your network interfaces, and it should show if they're activer/inactive. if your network interface is inactive, thats probably your problem. click on it, click the "activate" button at the top of the window, wait for it to activate and try your network connection again. if its not there at all, thats a bad thing. but let us know if its there, if its active, if you can activate it, any errors you get....
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I click on activate and it does nothing.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out things suggested in this forum post: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2226.html
the distro they're using is ubuntu but the terminal commands should be the same. the location of the files will probably be pretty similar too. post back with any output you get and information you find out.
also, it would help if you were a bit more detailed on what exactly you're doing and what exactly is happening :]
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks I will do that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts