Fedora Core 5 wont burn

• xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx
  • Loc: saint joseph, missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

i downloaded a copy of fedora core 5, the dvd image, from 2 different mirrors. neither of them will burn. Winrar shows all the files and everything but when i burn it in roxio it stops at 725 mb. it has done this with BOTH downloads. i dont want to download it again and im thinking about just purchasing it but i dont have the patience right now. I am burning the ISO. I never extracted it with WinRaR and i am burning it as a cd copy. not a data disk. can anyone help me with this? is there any certain way u have to burn it? i dont think its very likely that i downloaded 2 corrupt files in a row.
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have downloaded it not twice but 4 times now and have yet to get a good one. can someone help me out?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would say your problem is with roxio, not the iso itself.
nero and alcohol 120% both have a trial, and CDburnerXP Pro is free. so i'd give another burning program a try and see if you still have the problem.
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
i would say your problem is with roxio, not the iso itself.
nero and alcohol 120% both have a trial, and CDburnerXP Pro is free. so i'd give another burning program a try and see if you still have the problem.

i dont have nero and i have tried CDburnerXP along with another one called AVS disc creator. they all fail to make the disk. im going to try downloading the 5 disc set and see if that works. ill post back
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know that there is alot of different distro's and people have different preferences, but could u name off another one that has just as many, if not more features, and is also user friendly?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.opensuse.org
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, the 5 disk set didnt work. its official. it HAS to be my computer. ive tried several different programs. my drive works fine. im going to download a different distro or just purchase fedora.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can't burn the ISO, you're doing something wrong - and doing the same thing with any other ISO won't fix your problem. Make sure you're writing the image to disc rather than creating a data disc.

If all else fails, look for a program called BCD (http://www.nu2.nu/bcd/). Install this to your C:, then under your c:\bcd111 directory, create a directory called "cds". Each directory you create under this can become a CD rather easily.

Next, get something that can extract files from your ISOs, under the bcd111\cds\ directory, create a directory for each CD you want to create and a "files" directory under that. So, no you should have something like:
Code: [ Select ]
C:\
    bcd111\
        cds\
            fedora_1\
                files\
            fedora_2\
                files\
  1. C:\
  2.     bcd111\
  3.         cds\
  4.             fedora_1\
  5.                 files\
  6.             fedora_2\
  7.                 files\

Extract the files from the ISOs into these files\ directories. Once done, under the fedora_1 directory create 2 files: bcd.cfg and custom.cmd. The contents for these are:
bcd.cfg wrote:
bootfile isolinux/isolinux.bin
volumeid fedora
call custom.cmd

custom.cmd wrote:
@echo off
echo CUSTOM: Checking required files...
set rv=0
for %%i in (isolinux/isolinux.bin) do if not exist cds\%bcd_name%\files\%%i (
echo CUSTOM: File "cds\%bcd_name%\files\%%i" not found.
set rv=1)
:_bcd1_
:_end

For each of the other CDs, put the following into those files:
bcd.cfg wrote:
volumeid fedora
call custom.cmd

custom.cmd wrote:
@echo off
echo CUSTOM: Checking required files...
set rv=0
for %%i in () do if not exist cds\%bcd_name%\files\%%i (
echo CUSTOM: File "cds\%bcd_name%\files\%%i" not found.
set rv=1)
:_bcd1_
:_end

Next, to create your CDs, click Start > Run > cmd and do:
Code: [ Select ]
cd c:\bcd111
bcd FOLDERNAME
  1. cd c:\bcd111
  2. bcd FOLDERNAME

replace FOLDERNAME with the name of the folder containing the files\ directory for the CD you want to create (such as "fedora_1" above).
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

In fact, I'll do you one better. Get this and unzip it to your C drive. All you need to do is extract your ISOs into the files directories and edit the files I mentioned, the whole tree is built for you.
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx

Post 3+ Months Ago

i downloaded suse 10.1 and burnt it with ease. however, im not sure if its just a coincidence that when i tried booting up suse my windows file system corrupted. i never installed anything just booted it to make sure it would work. restarted took the disk out and got a blue screen saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME so i decided that linux just isnt for me.. this computer just dont want to run it. however, i do have another system im going to install it on when i get a new monitor. thanks for all the help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts