Fedora Dual Boot Problems

• Starr
  • Starr
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I am new to Linux, I have used DSL and Slax on thumbdrives but that is about it.

I have the Fedora 5 x86 DVD iso. I have two HDDs a master with Windows XP Pro (160GB) and a slave (40GB) that is to get Fedora. Ok so I go through the installer and pick my packages and I do the default partitions. It does it's thing and it installs correctly. I reboot and go back into the installer and I choose to upgrade an existing install and it has Fedora whatever so I click next. Then I choose my XP drive as my default for GRUB. Then No matter if I tell it to install to the MBR or the beginning of the /boot partition it gives me this message "No kernal packages were installed on your system. Your boot loader configuration will not be changed."

I went into rescue mode for the hell of it an it says that it detects my Fedora install.

At no point during the install does it ask to install GRUB only when I go to update the install.

I would really appreciate any help.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's installing GRUB to your hdb. you want it installed on your master hard drive, hda :] so go back into rescue mode. get to the shell. chroot /mnt/sysimage. grub-install /dev/hda
it should tell you that it worked and it loves you and now you can reboot and get into linux :]
  • Starr
  • Starr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried that before and it gave me an error saying that it isn't the same BIOS setup or whatever. Well I found out on another forum that apparantly you have to do custom partitions if you want to install Fedora to a second HDD. I did custom partitions and it asked me to install GRUB in the installer. It never did this before, usually I would have to go into the update thing after I installed it. It is installing now so I will let you know when it is done.
  • Starr
  • Starr

Post 3+ Months Ago

It didn't work. I went into rescue mode and edited the menu.lst file and switched timeout from 5 to 50 but still no good. This is starting to get a little irritating.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

sigh.
i would elaborate, but this is much easier:
go into your bios. under advanced options there should be boot priority for your hard drives. set it to boot from your second hard drive first, and your master hard drive second. hit f10 to save settings and exit, reboot, and there you go. boot loader away..
  • Starr
  • Starr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I switch the boot priority but then it says "Missing operating system." Here is what I get when I type
Code: [ Select ]
fdisk -l /dev/hda /dev/hdb
while in rescue mode. And following that is the contents of the /boot/grub/menu.lst. I hope this information can help you help me.

I am assuming this is the part you want:

Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
/dev/hda1 * 1 19456 156280288+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
/dev/hdb1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 14 421 3277260 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hdb3 422 4865 35696430 8e Linux LVM

Ok, here is menu.lst this is after a fresh reinstall of Linux and the bootloader so the timeout value is back to 5.

NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg. root (hd1,0) kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 initrd-version.img

boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)