Fedora 1 install - grub

• sleightofhand
  • sleightofhand

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was installing Fedora 1, got through the first 2 CD's no problem. Got hung up on the 3rd, no errors, just kinda sat there.

i shut the box down. and figured i'd start from scratch. it boots up and displays "grub". it has the option to enter shortcodes, but i'm lost.

i read a post on other message boards, checked the bios, to make sure it was booting in the correct order and it was.

suggestions from here ....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grub is the bootloader for Fedora Core (Or the bootloader that you chose) Basically Fedora Core installed the bootloader properly. So the BIOS is finished it passes control over to Grub which then allows you to pick the OS you want loaded.

When Grub shows up what shortcodes are available? And what do you mean that the third CD just hung up? Was it in the middle of an install or did it finish and just show a blank screen?
  • sleightofhand
  • sleightofhand

Post 3+ Months Ago

short codes are available.

the 3rd cd was installing, and was close to finishing, but did not show any more activity, after about an hour, it was not closer to being done.

:cry:
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Student
  • Student
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Loc: A Cold Wet England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem a while back, it turns out when I burnt the iso image I had downloaded to the cd at full speed, for whatever the reason the image got corrupted. I reburnt them at half speed and started again and then everything worked fine.

Also if you have downloaded the iso's its worth using md5sum to make sure the checksums are correct. you can get the md5sum programme for both linux and windows. there's a ton of info out there if your not sure how to use it. goggle knows all !

C
  • sleightofhand
  • sleightofhand

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks.

actually, my cdrom was older and just decided to stop working, so after changing the bios, and it still not recognizing the cd upon start up ...

i ran to Fry's and bought a cdrom. fixed the problem.

"Sometimes the most difficult of situations have the simplest resolutions."

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts