A few qeustions to handling RPM Files

• Asizez
  • Born
  • Born
  • Asizez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there.
Im new to the Unix World and I hope theres someone here who would like to help me with few small questions so I can start using Linux for real. "no Worries, its not how to dl and install a Linux OS :P or somethink like it", however its about installing on Linux =/.

Im using Linux SUSE 10.0

The RPMs :? Well I figured out how to execute some kind of files, but I got no idear how it installs or even how it figure out a registery setup in Linux, or how it combines the setup with each others :/ I cant fine any logic in it but sometimes it works and other times it doessent. RPM? -qlp? sh? A bit lost how to handle this commands correct and is there more of them? :?

When I ie. did try install skype linux version, I did try type "rpm -qlp path/skype_install.rpm" and it executed and I found the skype in the /usr/share/applications/skype...
But when I ie. try to install other kind of installs like ie Wine I cant get it to work. I belive the RPM file is correct and im quite sure im doing somethink totally wrong when installing on Linux.

I do like to get a clear hand on how to install and not using age to get somethink to work, it would really help me out getting started on Linux :D Allthough I do like to get the game World of Warcraft working on Linux, thats the only reason I need Wine. I've seen some screenshots of people getting it to work but never how they did it :cry:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

why dont you use yast to install what you need? and doesn't wine come installed by default with suse? it did for me. also - have you added installation sources to yast? it really helps for installing new software / updating what you have. look here for this.
to install an rpm you need to do at least rpm -i (for install), however i usually do rpm -ivh whatever.rpm as that shows a little more of whats going on :] but really if at all possible its better to install packages through yast in suse. and for WoW you may need Cedega (a.k.a. winex) although its not an absolute that you would, you just may. lol you can look in to that at http://www.transgaming.com but it stinks b/c you have to pay for it :( booo, lol

hope this helps.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

also wanted to add that winex is free as aposed to cedega. if i remember correctly cedega is a binary version of winex and its supposably a hell of a lot better. wouldnt know though since it costs money and well one of the reason i use linux is because its free and most things for it are free. but yeah get winex try it out see if wow works with it but dont get your hopes up.

forgot to ad that "wine" is different from "winex". from expirience ive noticed winex is better with more complex windows apps and wine is better with more simplistic apps. i could be wrong though.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm....do you have a download link for winex? and is it legal to distribute? because last i knew, winex was made by transgaming and they renamed it cedega. lol

http://www.transgaming.com/license.php?source=1
have a look at section 0. Subject Matter..
Quote:
This License applies to the computer program known as "WineX" or "Cedega". The "Program", below, refers to such program. The Program is a copyrighted work whose copyright is held by TransGaming Technologies Inc.,....

?
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

i looked into it and apparently they dont let you download wine x anymore. the website has changed and is a hell of a lot more coherent (back when i downloaded it the website was an atrocity). but yeah back in the day when i messed with it wine x was free which you could download from transgaming site and for the better imporved binary version of winex (which we know as cedega) was avaliable for purchase. i apologize for the out of date info i provided.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts