A few questions about Linux O/S

• tyco
  • tyco

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had some questions I need answers to,
1. Can Linux support my Windows programs (mainly adobe photoshop and macromedia flash and kazaa)
2. Can I install linux even with all the files erased on my computer?
3. Is it really worth switching to linux (im using redhat btw)?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Only if the manufacturer has files available for those operating systems. You wouldn't be able to take your Adobe CD for instance and install it into Redhat, and I doubt Adobe makes a Linux version of Adobe Photoshop. You can run flash files in Linux, as far as creating flash files in linux I am not sure what program you would use

2. Yes, in fact, you probably wouldn't be able to install linux on your computer without deleting it first. The reason being is I am guessing your Windows O/S is taking up all the space on the hard drive for its partition. You would need room on the hard drive that isn't allocated to a partition so that you could create a linux partition, or you would need to use another hard drive. You could put Windows and Linux on the same hard drive, but you will likely have to repartition the whole thing so that Window's partition isn't taking up all the space.

3. I just use the Linux O/S for programming and to run servers. As far as my personal computer I use Windows because there are so many more programs that are available for that O/S. It really depends on what you want to do on the computer.

If you have no idea how to use Linux like Redhat, I recommend trying to play around with it on an old computer, or a second hard drive if you have one. If you really want to delete your current hard drive you could mess around with it there too. It definetely isn't as easy to use Linux, and will probably take you a bit to understand how some things work. The first major challege for you is likely to figure out how to partition the hard drive, and what it means to partition.
  • tyco
  • tyco

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, No Adobe photoshop or Macromedia flash hugh? Wuts up with that? I guess ill install rehat for a while on my laptop, I use that for programming and shiznit. Ill use it for a while and decide if I want it on my desktop comp, thanks for the reply man!
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm...for some reason I've always heard bad things about running Linux on a laptop, but I don't know why that is. While searching for an answer to that I did find a site that may help you with configuration: http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Oh, and there is a fairly good graphics program for Linux called the GIMP. I haven't used it myself, but many of my friends use and love it. It's open-source, of course, so it wouldn't hurt to try it out. You can read more about it and see screenshots here: http://www.gimp.org/the_gimp.html

Good luck with Linux! :D
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is true the GIMP rules, I use adobe photoshop on my windows comp and GIMP on my main Linux comp. I actually like photoshop better but the GIMP is pretty nice as well.... Im not sure if u wanna run Linux on that laptop either...... Ive heard bad things about doing that
  • BlueOrb
  • Born
  • Born
  • BlueOrb

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. You CAN install linux on a hdd without wiping it, jus use paragon partition manger and resize ur win partition
2. WinE CAN support the win programs IF you have the dlls, i actually got kazaa werkin, haven't tried flash or ps yet. Link for Kazaa:http://www.christian-gerner.de/computer/linux/kazaa.htm.en
3.YES!! LINUX IS AWESOME!!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

tyco wrote:
Hmm, No Adobe photoshop or Macromedia flash hugh? Wuts up with that? I guess ill install rehat for a while on my laptop, I use that for programming and shiznit. Ill use it for a while and decide if I want it on my desktop comp, thanks for the reply man!

"What's up with that" is that Adobe & Macromedia simply don't understand how good & stable Linux is :)

You can run many windows applications under Linux using WINE, although they're rather slow.

I run Win2K on this machine I'm on right now and run Linux on all my others..

I'm with Geekette & Nego about GIMP. It's a great piece of kit, and it's available on both Windows and Linux (and it's free - legally, heh).

Whether it's worth switching is entirely dependent upon your needs.

Is a Toyota Tundra better than a Ferrari? Sure, a Ferrari's gonna look pretty goin' down the street impressing all the girls, but it ain't gonna get you past the first bend driving through mountains in Arizona. :)

So whether it's worth switching, or "better" depends entirely on what you want to use it for.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's hoping the BSD based Mac OS X is the stepping stone needed to get Adobe back into the UNIX world. Until then, GIMP really is a good graphics package. Its not Photoshop (what is?), but at least as good as Jasc Paint Shop Pro.

Linux can be very rewarding, depending on your personality and needs. Try it, it can't hurt. Oh, and you can partition your drive for more than one operating system (just a little bit difficult for first timers, especially with NT based operating systems).

Good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts