Few SUSE10.1 Questions

• dudeking
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK, Middlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. In Firefox I get no sound from flash videos; e.g. YouTube and Google Videos. I have installed flashplayer, originally on my userarea then as root.
All the video works fine, just no sound, it's the same for any video.

2. Is there any where I can check up on what loads up at start-up? Like in windows it was msconfig, is there something like this for linux?

3. I have 5 Games that I want to play, I don't want to setup a dual boot, I only have linux on my system now, how can I setup a virtual machine to install XP on and play these games?
I have tried Xen, but it appears to only support other linux distros.

4. I have got 6.1 surround sound, but I am only getting 2.0 output, all the channels are on full.

5. How can I map the extra buttons on my logitech Keyboard and Mouse?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorted all problems!

Thanks Anyway :D
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

would you mind posting what you did to sort through all of your problems in case someone who's in a similar situation runs across your post? that way they can get everything working too, instead of thinking "well, he did it. how do i?" lol
:]
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol Okay, well

1. (I'snt Fixed) I tryed a manual install, which I thought did it but didnt.
2. As machine boots up press Esc key.
3. I have got a hardware dual boot, e.g. Plug one HDD in for linux the other in for Windows lol But I'm trying WineX
4. (I'snt Fixed) Some one just told me was gnome internal setting.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Yea....Macromedia/Adobe sux @ life.
2. Desktop > YaST > System > System Services . this will show and allow you to edit which services are started as the system boots. however, one should take extreme caution when editing which services start as some services are absolutely critical.
3. WineX/Cedega is a solution if you'd like to spend a little money. Wine can play some games.. there are quite a few "how to's" for installing windows games in linux. there are also loki installers for windows games which are quite handy. i'm not sure which games you're wanting to install but take a look here and here and here to name a few. mm...what games are you looking to install?
4. Go over to http://www.suseforums.net and see what they have to say..someone there should know how to get 6.1 working
5. open up the YaST software management or smartpm if you installed that and search for lineak, give that a try. (info)
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. I herd a rummer that Flash 9 will come out for Linux soon, probity still won't work.
2. Thanks I'll have a look at them now, are there any that can be disabled with no harm done? It takes about 5x longer to boot Linux than XP, but then again I only have about 20/40 services loading in XP, just want to get it quicker in Linux.
3. I'll have a look at them, the only game I want to play are Age of Empires 3, and then I have Far Cry, Oblivion, Command and Conquer and Guild Wars but I'm not bothered about them, only age of empires.
4. Yup I'm there now, I'll post back here what I did.
5. Thanks I'll check it out.

Just another question as well, I haven't been able to access my FTP with any app in Linux. I have tried FireFTP, Konqueror and gFTP but they all just spend ages connecting to server then crashing, I can still access in XP though. I'm completely lost, and Web Design is like the main thing I do on my computer.
Thanks for the help :)
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

The FTP is working and the flash thing it seems to be all Browser sounds not just flash, so its background music etc

Thanks for your help:)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm... =\ age of empires 3 doesn't look promising. from what i read since its an M$ sponsored game it has hooks to see what OS its running on..
i dont have time right now, but i know for sure theres how to's for installing command and conquer and probably the others. if not installing them through wine, then i'd guess cedega would def. be able to do it..

time to go to work :boo:
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I just subscried to transgaming so I now have cedega.
Only cost £10.93 gotta install the nVida drivers now.
It does support Age of Empires 3
Heres there supported games database, its huge!
http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

Edit:- Have fun at work :D lol
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet...how did it only cost 10.93? i thought it was 5 euros/mo? which wouldn't make sense b/c its also 5 USD/mo but whatev.

hahah..thanks. but i dont really find landscaping to be all that fun...its too damn hot and muggy :[
(we have on avg 90-100% humidity...damn michigan weather)
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

£3.88/mo

Having probilems with it thought, I just emailed them about it should have it fixed.

Quote:
Hi,
I just subscribed to transgaming so that I could play my games in Linux rather than having to dual boot.
The games that I want to play are:

* Age of Empires 3
* Command and Conquer Generals
* Far Cry
* Oblivion
* Guild Wars Factions

You currently support 3 of these, but I cannot get any of them to work.
I managed to install farcry but I was unable to launch the game, the only thing I was given to launch was the register product and when I tried to run than I got a Script Error.
I tried to install Command and Conquer and also got a run time error.

How can I fix this?

Thanks for any help,
Eddie Lee

Sounds like too much hardwork to me :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

weird...i wanna pay with euros. haha ^_^
did you get any error messages? try running cedega from the command line and then try installing a game, and if it fails check the command line and see if any error messages were output.
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to reinstall cedega and start again, I think its because I havnt Installed my nVida drivers.
Coudnt work it out, I tried following a guide but when I had to type init3 it said command does not exist.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you typed init3 i do believe you had to be logged into a terminal with:
su -
not just
su
there's a difference. the password is the same, but the su - makes it so you dont have to enter full paths such as with su - you can simply type fdisk -l instead of with su where you have to type /sbin/fdisk -l
:]
  • dudeking
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I'll try it now :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts