my first post from linux

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

w00t w00t, i feel like a glorified h4xx0r
pardon the l337spe4k, i know its lame. this is nice. i might think of this as a permanent replacement to windows [not really] but something to use if windows is angering me, like before when windows security SHUT DOWN the explorer process, which was validated by them. [stupid gates]
im using knoppix if anyone wants to know, and what i want to know, is why microsoft doesnt do something like this. this is great, ive never known anything better. i have open office, i have a web browser, i have a media player, and i have a file browser, now may i know why all that would take upwards of 7 gigs [alltogether | windows, media player, text editor (suite), everything else|]
this is beautiful and im gonna get everyone hooked on fonixs! i mean linux
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm in the same boat. This is about the 3rd time I have tried to learn Linux as a replacement to Windows, and I can't do it. I use my FreeBSD partition as a backup OS basicly to fix my Windows partition if it gets damaged.

Not to say I am bashing Linux, but it is a very hard transition for me. The first computer I owned has MS-DOS 3.1 on it. Thats DOS, not Windows. It's pretty much like trying to learn French outside of a French speaking community. Every time I think LS my fingers automaticly type DIR... :?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i hate windows, i hate dell, living in texas [austin] im going to be seeing a lot of both and i cant take it. im going to take knoppix to school everyday and use it instead of this xp nonsense. btw, ive used 3.1 too. i grew up on it. my father taught me everything. my next OS was 98, never even bothered with 95. 3.1 was decent and was a steep learning curve for me [i was 4-5] but it was relatively stable with me.

i am however thinking of permamnently replacing windows with linux, ill first research a good distro, learn the commands [??] and everytihng else i have to about it, then download it and implement it. i think i will still have a windows partition, i dont think ill ever completely transfer over [i like to play a lot of windows games.

anyways, in general i think that knoppix is a good first distro for anyone, but i was browsing and found a list of almost 115 of these "live CD'S" but for now, i tihnk knoppix will be my linux base.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree - switching to linux is rather hard when your a gamer. there is transgaming's cedega, but thats software that you have to pay for. and then its not guaranteed that you'll get all of your windows games to play in linux. then, its a hassle to have to reboot to windows everytime you feel like gaming :( but usually i have spurts.. a couple weeks in linux, a couple weeks in windoze, lol. now if only the game manufacturers would have linux versions of their games....
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont we all wish, but then again, most people who yuse linux probably dont want to play games and that would meana limited market [less money] and we therefore have no chance of ever seeing linux versions of games
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Linux, I love games. There are games out there with Linux ports, and many others that'll run with the correct support (which often means paying money :(), but as time goes by and more people switch to the Linux the games will come! Have faith, the future is Linux :D.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

a agree. i try to get linux but i cant get dial up to work. cant w8 till i can get ADSL !! will convert on 1 pc but will always run linux 4 the family!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts