• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• frezasaga
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frezasaga

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about the mandrake........mandrake is good version too............but i am asking how can i play a windows games like Online games (ex. world of warcraft,RFOnline,other RPG games)..........

and how about xandros is he compatible to the windows game that i mentioned earlier............
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

frezasaga wrote:
how about the mandrake........mandrake is good version too............but i am asking how can i play a windows games like Online games (ex. world of warcraft,RFOnline,other RPG games)..........

and how about xandros is he compatible to the windows game that i mentioned earlier............

you're not speaking clearly. did you even go to the site?
and the games working isn't exactly distro specific. i'm not sure about online gameplay but i would imagine it wouldn't be much different than any other gameplay which you would accomplish with cedega ( http://www.transgaming.com )
oh, and mandrake isn't called mandrake anymore since they merged with another linux company. now they're mandriva. and i agree, i have a dual boot system with the mandriva 2006.0 free ed. and it works great. i dont have dependancy problems at all which is extremely rare. i'm quite surprised at that. but yea...if you dont want to pay for cedega, you could always try running your games with wine ( http://www.winehq.org ) but its not as sure fire that they'll work..
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont even bother with wine for games. wine is very basic with little compatability. for gaming its gonna be cedega all the way. one of my buddies from college told me that linux machines running games with cedega have actualy out benchmarked pcs.
but i find that kind of hard to believe. i would try cedega out myself but i have an ati card on my linux box and any linux user will tell you how much of a bitch ati cards are to get working. i have never to this day been able to get 3d acceleration with an ati card.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i had a Radeon 9600 I got it to work in linux.
yes, it was a b**ch, lol
and i think my geforce mx4000 outperforms it :( lol but only in linux.

but i've actually seen benchmark results of linux + wine vs. windows from benchmarking programs, and the linux results were higher on most tests. there were some exceptions, but i was pretty surprised..
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

its quite sad really. i think i would of actually gotten my radeon to work this one time. everything was going smoothly and i think all that was left was rebooting. but i never did dont remember why. i just popped my nvidia back in and was just fine. its just now i have windows on that machine as well so i use the radeon.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest, If playing games is one of your main concerns when picking an OS, Linux isn't for you.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
To be honest, If playing games is one of your main concerns when picking an OS, Linux isn't for you.

*nods*
its true.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

there are a variety of nice free games out there for linux or better yet crossplatform. quite addicting but yeah nothing that equalls the quality of alot of these newer pc titles coming out.
  • SoftDux
  • Born
  • Born
  • SoftDux
  • Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
meman wrote:

*nods*
its true.

heh, funny one. Though one could play quite a lot of games if you fiddle around enough :)

Loki Games, AFAIK, have ports for many common games, and funny enough Quake seems to work much better on Linux (on same PC) than windows
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SoftDux wrote:
...and funny enough Quake seems to work much better on Linux (on same PC) than windows

what version of quake?
  • SoftDux
  • Born
  • Born
  • SoftDux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh, Q3 :)
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

That test gave me the same two distro's of linux im using now :D
  • SoftDux
  • Born
  • Born
  • SoftDux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was told to use Mandriva and Fedora Core..... Hmm, I like Suse and Ubuntu though :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like suse and fedora.
ubuntu doesn't like my x800 :(

i was figuring it was Q3...i'll have to give that a try.

tom, what distro's are those?
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mandriva and Kubuntu
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SoftDux wrote:
...and funny enough Quake seems to work much better on Linux (on same PC) than windows

mm...i'm running suse 10.1 and q3 runs for $hit on my box.
?
odd.

tomrulez wrote:
Mandriva and Kubuntu

oic. idky i just never really liked the feel of mandrake/mandriva...
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

i concure anarchy mandrake/mandriva is icky. although mandrake was my first distro. i recently installed ubuntu and have been using it thoroughly. must say im quite pleased and impressed with its ease of use. but the partitioner on the ubuntu live cd is crap. it wouldnt recognize partitions it had just created. stupid if you ask me. had to use a debian netinstall cd to partition my HD.
also havent been able to get xgl working on ubuntu. got it working on suse but i didnt like suse's yast. talk about SLOW.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm...i had suse 9.1 for my first distro. last one before novell took over, lol. the speed of the install hasn't increased :(
ubuntu 6.06 won't recognize my x800 so it drops me to console. and not the good console, like all of the text wraps around the screen instead of breaking for lines. its rather impossible.
yast is slow, i'll DEFINITELY agree. but thats why smartpm works with suse ;]
however i havne't gotten my WinTV card working with MythTV yet so yea...i think i'm doing something wrong.
but i still think i prefer fedora overall.. ^_^
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

*bump*

in case any people are thinking wondering.. O=)
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did I try this before? Can't remember..

Interesting result. Debian, which is what I'm running right now, then ubuntu (yeeeuch) and kubuntu, pointless. I don't like KDE and answered that I didn't during the test..

Funny thing is.. I'm thinking of changing over to slackware.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol nice.
i have it downloaded.
never felt like installing it.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ubuntu, Debian, Kubuntu.

That's pretty fair (it's all I've used for the last few years), although tbh, after selecting "deb" as my preferred package choice, the decision must've been made easier. ;)
Nice link AnarchY.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade wrote:
...although tbh, after selecting "deb" as my preferred package choice, the decision must've been made easier. ;)
Nice link AnarchY.

lol pretty much. you should give fedora a try.. :] there's apt/synaptic for it, which i prefer because its faster than yumex. although i do prefer the menu's in suse 10.2..
thanks tho :] i thought so.

i just retook the test and it told me:
kubuntu, ubuntu, debian, fedora, mandriva.
i've tried the newest versions of k/ubuntu & fedora, for some reason mandriva didn't want to work :( and debian is just too damn large. lol i downloaded like 16 CD's and 2 DVD's (of dif versions) and swore that off rather rapidly :] thats just ridiculous, lol
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did download FC6 recently, but it failed the MD5 check and wouldn't install - at the time I didn't have time to mess about, and went back to install Ubuntu. I intend to try Fedora in the future though.

The thing is, I'm at a stage now where I don't use Linux to mess with, it just has to work. I'm willing to go through some config/setup - but I'm not in it for the fun, or the "f%$k you M$" anymore.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yea.. thats sad.
but its odd that it didn't work. i haven't had a recent burn fail installation except for when i tried using the fedora extras during the installation. but that may not have been the true issue. *shrug*
you could always try the FC7 test livecd ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 56 posts