For those asking, 'What's the best version of Linux'

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just recently discovered an interesting web site which asks you a series of questions and then recommends a few distributions of Linux based on your answers to those questions. I found it rather interesting and think that it could be quite useful as the question is often asked, "What's the best version / distribution of Linux?"
The website is here: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
  • Tom Beers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tom Beers
  • Loc: Telford, Shropshire, England.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quite a good website; It recommended me SUSE, Mandriva and Fedora, but I'm currently using Ubuntu and am happy, well except it wont except my wireless card, grr...
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried the other distro's?
  • Tom Beers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tom Beers

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tryed Linspire, do you know any Distros that might accept it? (Linspire didn't by the way).
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm...it appears i've left my psychic abilities in my other pants ;)

what's the make/model of your wireless card? lol
  • Tom Beers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tom Beers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol ok x).

Errrm I'm not sure it's just a cheap one from Maplins... Lol, although the Linksys WPC54G didn't work either.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm...does the OS recognize the card is there? or does it pretend it completely doesn't exist? does it start pcmcia? did you try installing the windows drivers with the Linuxant DriverLoader? have you tried to compile (if there is one) the linux driver for the card(s)?
  • Tom Beers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tom Beers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm well I have installed the drivers with Ndiswrapper, and no lights come on the card whilst it is plugged in (when the Linksys one is in the power one only comes on) and I have tryed the hardware command (I forgot what it was) and it didn't mention it at all :(.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was having toruble getting my wireless adapter working on debian. i finaly got it though perhaps this simple quick how to will work for you.

1. plug in your adapter (im assuming you already have ndiswrapper installed)
2. after downloading the appropriate drivers (if needed like for linksys you might need to use wine to extract the drivers) type in "ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf"
3. check with "ndiswrapper -l" it will show the driver and say if its installed correctly. if it doesnt say its installed correctly and driver is present then you have the wrong drivers buddy. but if it says hardware present then lets move on.
4. after this i did "ndiswrapper -m"
5. then "modprobe ndiswrapper"
6. if you havent already since you say your using ubuntu "apt-get install wireless-tools" (if thats not the correct name then "apt-cache search wireless" should come up somwhere"
7. now "iwconfig" it should show you info for wlan0 if so your doing good
8. now you need to configure some things try "iwlist wlan0 scan" it should then pick up wireless connections hopefully it will pick up your router if so move on.
9. now "iwconfig wlan0 essid your_essid_here"
10. now "iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed"
11. now here i used dhcpclient but in theory you should be able to use dhcpcd but i liked dhcpclient better so go ahead and do an apt-cache search for either one you want and then install it.
12. if you chose dhcpclient then your going to "dhclient wlan0" if you chose dhcpcd then your going to "dhcpcd wlan0"
13. this should be it but it didnt work for me untill i rebooted so what i did was modify /etc/network/interfaces to make wlan0 primary just replace the eth0 you see with wlan0. and you also are going to have to have ndiswrapper load on boot so you modify /etc/modules
and then just simply add the line "ndiswrapper" and when you reboot it should load up ndiswrapper and it should connect to your router hopefully.

by the way if your using some kind of encryption like WEP your gonna have to add that after step 9. the command is "iwconfig wlan0 key yourkey".

guess this isnt really quick but hey hopefully this works. it worked for me after hours of trial and error.
good luck!

EDIT: i just noticed your using a pci card. i was using a usb but hopfully it shouldnt matter. once again good luck!
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got recommended gentoo or slackware WOO!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

iHATEgentoo.....

i was recommended debian, fedora, mandriva, suse, and k/ubuntu. lol gentoo & slackware were on my "these are DAMN close to fitting your criteria" thing at the bottom. lol
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

gentoo just hates you so, but she loves me : P
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah, its true. i was thinking about trying to install it again but.....:sigh:...maybe i'd just do the i386 version? or something? because trying to compile while telling it i had a 64-bit cpu just WAS NOT working....and i did have the right kernel, etc.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

tom, you may also want to check out this link - i believe it would aid you: http://whitepapers.techrepublic.com.com ... .6224,6278
  • Tom Beers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tom Beers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you Enjoi_Panda_Man I have printed off your post and when I have access to my Linux computer I shall try it :D.

And AnarchY SI, thank you very much that link looks to be very useful, I am going to go read the PDF now :lol:.
  • bpeh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bpeh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like to say RHEL because its commercial...that means you get support, updates and people are serious about it.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem. if you need me to clarify anything ask away
  • Tom Beers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tom Beers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! Guess what I'm using to write this! Ubuntu! It worked! Thank you both so much :D

One (new >.<) problem I am having is that when I turn it on it goes straight to the shell, no login screen, no graphics what-so-ever... To get the graphics to load I have to press esc before anything loads and select 'Recovery Mode' then it takes about 15 minutes but eventually works... Any ideas as to where I might have gone wrong or how I can think fix it?

While I'm on the subject of my Linux problem, :lol:, For the first few minutes that Ubuntu is running the buffer is messed up or something, as it repeats the key I pressed like ten times, unless I type really slowly... Again any help with this would be very welcome :D.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

im not sure what ubuntu uses to log in. i know debian uses gdm so im guessing ubuntu does as well if so then im guessing something is wrong with that. as for your seccond problem im not sure im quite understanding. could you clarify please?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

what he's saying is that when he types, if he doesn't type at an extremely slow rate then when he presses the 'a' key, ubuntu outputs: aaaaaaaaaa, or if he typed the word 'cat' he may get ccccccccccaaaaaaaaaatttttttttt

that would be quite annoying, but i have NO clue why it would be doing that. nor have i ever encountered that. lol

when was the last time you did a system / gnome | kde | xorg update?
  • Tom Beers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tom Beers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol it was very annoying indeed, but both those problem don't matter anymore as I reinstalled Ubuntu and everything is fine now :D. Works everytime ;) :roll:.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thats good. lol

i still dont really like ubuntu...
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

one question are you using a multimedia keyboard. if so it could have had a glitch and gotten the wrong driver and had it output a huge number of letters. just a thought
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats true i didnt think of that. for some reason my wireless usb keyboard constantly is sending some type of input and it only really affects the console.
  • Tom Beers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tom Beers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nah the computer with the problem is a crappy old Toshiba laptop. It's probably just out-dated or something >.<.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i see. well thanks Enjoi_Panda_Man im gonna start working on the problem in a little bit
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

forgot to mention that the files you have to modify to load ndiswrapper on boot and have your wlan0 be primary might be different or in a different location. not entirely sure but i think this might be the case.
  • adolphe
  • Born
  • Born
  • adolphe

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a project on simulating performance of the EDCF protocol used in 802.11e norme.
After implementing this norme and running an exemple there are some errors like type mac inconnu.
After that i have ommited all instructions concerning base station BS in my script, the error is segmentation error.
Without this step i can not progress please help me
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would help you but i have no idea as to what the hell you're talking about. you should make a new post for this so more people can see your problem.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

adolphe wrote:
I have a project on simulating performance of the EDCF protocol used in 802.11e norme.
After implementing this norme and running an exemple there are some errors like type mac inconnu.
After that i have ommited all instructions concerning base station BS in my script, the error is segmentation error.
Without this step i can not progress please help me

You need to take the YTRSA and integrate it with the KGDF. The YTRSA will allow your to set your MAC which can then communicate with your base station.

If this sounds like a bunch of BS, it's because it is. Go create a NEW post asking your question properly, but before you do you need to gather pertinent information like what language your script is in, what platform it runs on, what you're using for a base station and how you're connecting to your network device. It might also help to post it in the correct forum {my guess is that this has nothing - or very little - to do with Linux}

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 56 posts