Hd format and Vm Ware Confusion

• Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

: :?

Hi all,

OK , source of my confusion. At school we have workstations, we log in and get images. Vm Ware supplies us with the images.But what i dont understand is how that a harddrive contains information that can be accessed using either a linux ap or a windows app. I thought that information had to be kept on two different file formats, ntfs and nfs.\\

Couldnt findout from Vmware if they have some kind of Wine program in the pack ground of their image server. Also was thinking,. Is it possible to serve yourself locally? using natives.

Like running ...RHat perse, and then use Vmware to load an image of Windows that you have natively installed on a seperate Hd, or have i just confused myself to the point of no return :oops:

Look forward to getting the slap i need..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't understand your question at all.

You use computers at school that run vmware sessions; thus tying the users (you) into a specific vmware environment, rather than the host environment.

Is that right? If so, what is your question?
  • Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ill try to be clearer.

Im using a networked computer, that uses VMware, to supply images to our desktops. These images can be in linux or windows format. My confusion lies in that it was my belief that linux requires NFS and that windows uses NTFS or FAt32.

MY second question was is it possible to have linux installed on an hd, then serve my self images of windows..and would these images be able to obtain information from an NFS drive or would i have to have a NTFS partition to store all m Win based data?

Most of these questions reallyt stem from a problem that i have with running an Ubuntu live cd on my computer , that is an Xp native. I cant access any files that i have on my Hdrives but i can access info on my USB key.

Feel free to lock this thread as its not that helpfull for anyone else.
Thanks Ozzu
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zadig wrote:
ill try to be clearer.

Im using a networked computer, that uses VMware, to supply images to our desktops. These images can be in linux or windows format. My confusion lies in that it was my belief that linux requires NFS and that windows uses NTFS or FAt32.

MY second question was is it possible to have linux installed on an hd, then serve my self images of windows..and would these images be able to obtain information from an NFS drive or would i have to have a NTFS partition to store all m Win based data?

Most of these questions reallyt stem from a problem that i have with running an Ubuntu live cd on my computer , that is an Xp native. I cant access any files that i have on my Hdrives but i can access info on my USB key.

Feel free to lock this thread as its not that helpfull for anyone else.
Thanks Ozzu

OK, let me see if I understand you correctly.
You use systems (which happen to be on a network -- irrelevant) that themselves utilize vmware to either boot into a Windows partition OR a Linux partition. When you boot into the Linux partition, you are wanting to retrieve data from the Windows partition.

The answer is yes, and no.

You can read windows (ntfs) partitions from Linux all day long (note: I said read, not write) however going the other way is trickier.
You are also not limited to NFS for Linux -- which further complicates matters. There's a ton of filesystems, though most commonly ext2 is used. (FreeBSD commonly uses UFS2, and there's journaling FS's available for linux as well, not to mention the Andrew File System, which is a DCE.)

If you do, in fact employ ext2 as the native fs for your linux partition, then it is possible, though you have to find a third party tool to enable that functionality; a google search should uncover such tool.

If however, you have a windows drive, that you wish to run a live CD on (linux) and read your NTFS drives from said boot ... that should be simple. When I boot into Freesbie (the liveCD version of freebsd) it automagically mounts any ntfs drives it finds. I imagine Knoppix and the like do the same.

I know very little of Ubuntu, and as such can only make the observation that Knoppix has worked for my colleagues in the past.

Cheers.
  • Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks - Ubuntu shall find its way to the bin...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts