formatted /home but didn't backup user settings

• biruru
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • biruru
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, i formatted my /home partition but didn't backup user setttings, now i can't login with my previous user, i forgot to backup the hidden files, now is there anyway to add back the user, as i can only login with root.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I know that's it..game over.(actually nothing like true..but is there anything you need to recover that is desperate..if so some details of which *nix OS it is and the file format, ext3/reiser, or whatever will help. Contrary to the previous it is possible sometimes to recover data from a formatted drive).. otherwise what you need to do now is from a root console prompt use the adduser command and make a new account in whatever name you want. Then it will go through a list of things. take notice of what you answer,, it will ask you for names and passwords.
Unless anybody can corect me I think all the data like user accounts and similar on a formatted drive is pretty well lost without some expert (not me) help

Jan..now on FreeBSD 6.1
  • biruru
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • biruru
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jan, i'm using fedora core 6, the file format it was previous using was ext3. the only important thing i would say is my bookmarks for firefox, as i had no backup for it. I'm guessing it's pretty much gone and tarnish. Looks like starting all over again...
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might get lucky if it formatted the same partition size. No guarantees. What we need is a real *nix expert in here. I have lost my bookmarks so many times now I don't worry about them any more.
I'm sure there is a linux equivalent of the ms unformat command..but as I said, we need an expert. Just off for a quick look around. brb..

edit..for the sake of being quick I haven't done more than scan this page...

http://www.ptdd.com/datarecovery/ext3.htm
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're done as far as files (bookmarks). You can try recovery programs such as ptdd, but generally I would say it's toast. :)

Yo could use skel files to recreate the users home dirs and hidden files, but that will not retrieve formatted data. :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

give this a read.. http://linux.sys-con.com/read/117909.htm

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts