i found my true love!

• xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx
  • Loc: saint joseph, missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

its linux!

I downloaded a live cd today and i love it. Im thinking about a dual boot between fedora core 5 and windows xp. Anybody know of any better versions of linux or the risks that go along with having 2 operating systems? not something ive ever tried.
maybe someone can even help explain how to install linux and windows on the same machine. I want to keep the windows install that i have.

(mods feel free to move if u must. i found it a pretty general question)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

When i was introduced to linux I started off with slackware (cuz thats what my nerd buddy liked best)... so i learned on that. I used it for about a year or a year and a half, then for a short time moved to fedora core 3, and then moved onto debian where i stay.

I must say, slackware by far seems the most complicated as far as configuration and what not.. i'm glad i learned on it because it made everything else seem so easy.

Fedora was great for a while, but it had a lack of support for alot of software i was using. Basically i was being the guy to write all the documents on installation and setup for some of these products... i soon grew tired of it and moved on.

Debian to me is the bread and butter. Its just so easy. I feel free and stress free :)

Your best bet is to just try a few flavors and see what one you like the best.
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx
  • Loc: saint joseph, missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im in the process of downloading fedora core 5. it seems like a great os. Ill be sure to try out debian before i make my decision though. thanks for the input! :D
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

check this out. http://www.ozzu.com/unix-linux-forum/for-those-asking-what-the-best-version-linux-t58663.html

fedora core 5 is good. after you get it installed, you'll want to head over to http://stanton-finley.net
that'll help you get a lot of things like java and media players.
debian, is insanely LARGE. lol 2 dvd's or 14 cd's? thats just unnecessary..lol
a lot of people suggest starting out on slackware if you really want to learn about linux. otherwise its just more pointing and clicking with a few su's and modifications.. :]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts