Free BSD rc.firewall issues

• ITmaster21
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ITmaster21
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently trying to allow inbound windows netmeeting connections through a free BSD firewall. I have the required primary ports open to my workstation, and can see bidirectional communication when running a sniffer. I believe my problem is the dynamically assigned ports required are still blocked. How do I allow the firewall to dynamically open secondary TCP and UDP ports?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything but the audio and video features should work, as long as you have the statically assigned ports open.

The dynamic range is for audio/video (1024-65535) and cannot be changed.

If however, said connection is initiated from within the network, you should be able to establish bi-directional communications as it's starting point is behind the firewall.
This can be done programmatically via a mechanism that communicates (using an auth tool on the web layer) to initiate flow from server to client or via a more network-based methodology such as temporary VPN access.
  • ITmaster21
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ITmaster21
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, yes...but my goal is still to have the remote clients initiate the netmeeting call with the ability to share the desktop. I am curious if the machine placing the call is then responsible for determining the dynamic ports, and thus being blocked because the packets are not being sent from within first. If this is so, Is it possible to open 1024-65535 for a single internal IP address without affecting the rest of my network?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts