FreeBSD ATI Drivers

• Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am so upset

I have a new laptop and I have had to install a linux distro on it. What I wanted to do is install FreeBSD on it.

I have searched everywhere and can't find anything. Do any of you guys have any idea where I can get the X700 drivers for FreeBSD?

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks guys
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe (and could be wrong) that you need this: http://www.fglrx-freebsd.com/
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I found that but it appears it never got out of beta, was hoping there was a stable release but maybe I should give it a bash anyway

Thanks man
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rabid Dog wrote:
I have a new laptop and I have had to install a linux distro on it. What I wanted to do is install FreeBSD on it.

FBSD != Linux;
return 1;
}

lol
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

freeBSD is my first choice, much nicer than Linux, but I need it to function with the wide screen, hence the need for the drivers
  • adamk
  • Born
  • Born
  • adamk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rabid Dog wrote:
I am so upset

I have searched everywhere and can't find anything. Do any of you guys have any idea where I can get the X700 drivers for FreeBSD?

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks guys

The x700 is supported (by 2D drivers) in Xorg 6.9.0, which is the latest available in FreeBSD ports.

AGP x700 cards will definitely work in 3D with FreeBSD -CURRENT with a little effort (downloading and compiling Mesa and DRM modules from CVS). AGP x700 cards may also support 3D in FreeBSD -STABLE, but I have not tried that personally since I tend to stick with -CURRENT.

If it's a PCIe card (as is likely the case), I don't believe 3D will work with -STABLE, but I have heard that they work in -CURRENT.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, thanks for that feed back I will give it a bash and see if I can't get our resident FBSD expert to tweak it, just wanted to make sure I could get it sorted before nuking the Linux

Thanks for the help guys

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts