Frontpage Server Extensions for FreeBSD

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, we have an online class using Frontpage 2003 that needs to publish their work to a FreeBSD server. there is the Frontpage 2002 Server Extensions available for FreeBSD but are those extensions compatible with FP2003? i've been looking around google but haven't yielded any worthy results..
and if not, is there anyway to get frontpage extensions that would work? thanks

//-- so i've just run across a page on M$'s site that stated FP2003 would work with the 2002 extensions, it just wouldn't have all these nifty features. it'd have a lot of features, just not this, that and the other thing. sigh
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

AAAHHH! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

AFAIK 2002 FrontPage extensions should work fine. Anything not supported you probably don't need anyway (just like 90% of software output by Microsquash)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yea, i'd definitely like to but unluckily the class is required for my degree and frontpage is the only option.. :(
but ok, thats good. that means i can let my superiors know. this was his response to me letting him know that FP extensions were needed..
Quote:
The CIS177FP web server is a Unix based web server and does not support SharePoint or FrontPage server extensions.
the sad thing is he's the manager of the manager of the servers, so he's supposed to be the one who knows most about them. hahah..oops ^_^
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sad is the day, when our youth are being forced to use MS Frontpage in the classroom. Where's the humanity? Where's the compassion? What have we become people? Do we want our kids to grow up thinking everything can se solved with a mouse-click? Sigh.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, the reason the instructor even wants me to install the extensions rather than just having people use ftp to upload their files to the server, which by the way is already functional, is that thats taking away from the ease of frontpage and could confuse some of the less technical users.

although i do get great pleasure in telnet'ing to the server ^_^
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It explains why just about every new tech I see straight out of school can't tell the difference between a syn flood and a peanut butter sandwich.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a difference? :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:

uhm....is there a button i can click to respond 'yes' or 'no'..?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:

Peanut butter sandwich is more filling

AnarchY SI wrote:
uhm....is there a button i can click to respond 'yes' or 'no'..?

# rm -Rf /
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao :D
masterful.

but back to business, if running /usr/local/sbin/httpd stop DIDN'T stop the apache service, then how would i start it? because i just found out from my superior that if we reboot the server, apache doesn't start and we have to do that manually but if apache isn't started we can patch it without harm. then after we patch it, it needs to be started..
also, why does httpd exist in 3 locations? and how can i find out at which location its running from?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea so i have a new problem...
i found a file called httpd.pid so after looking at that i could kill the process. then i ran the installation and it was able to finish successfully, however when i tried to start the apache server, i got an error about the conf file trying to load modules. which basically tells me that the modules weren't compiled into that apache which i would like to know how to fix, but a bigger problem i think is that after commenting out the loadmodule and addmodule lines in the config file, it gave me an error saying it didn't know what "option" was...i thought that was pretty basic for all builds of apache?
i think this thing is crazy.. :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts