WS_FTP login problem - sbin problem? Prob. in /etc/passwd?

• resources4horses
  • Born
  • Born
  • resources4horses
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone! I have a client having issues logging into WS_FTP with a username she normally doesn't have issues with to her server. All of a sudden, it stopped letting her FTP with that username. She seems to think it has something to do with that username in the /etc/passwd file and with sbin? I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas? I'm stuck and she wants an answer YESTERDAY LOL. Well, thanks for any help that you can provide me with.

Cheers,

Kristin
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is an 'expire' field in /etc/password... it's possible that her password expired and it needs to be changed.
  • resources4horses
  • Born
  • Born
  • resources4horses

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply. I checked but it doesn't look like she's using the expire field.

Kristin
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Er, I don't think that is what was implied.

Let's try this;

Open a DOS window, type ftp <ftp server>
When prompted for the username, enter it.
Same with the password.

Did it work? If yes you have some odd issue with your client program, WS-FTP (let's *do* keep in mind that WSFTP is just a client FTP GUI -- one does not log "into" WSFTP, they use it to log into ftp sites for the expressed purpose of transmitting files).

If it does not work -- and I am inclined to believe it won't -- who runs the server? Has the password expired, or reached a maximum number of failed logins, which I would hope should lock-out said user.
If the server maintainer is running auditing, which really is nothing more than an industry term for user authentication/access proactive monitoring, I might start there.

Ask the host if the user is locked out.

Cheers.
  • resources4horses
  • Born
  • Born
  • resources4horses

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, figured out the problem. So everyone benefits, here's what the resolution and cause was:

The cause was the home directory path in /etc/passwd. It somehow changed from /sbin to /bin. They changed this back to /sbin and now it works. It changes back to /bin because the default for an optim (the system I work with at work) operator is /bin.

The sysmgr program always runs through the /etc/passwd file when a change to the optim operator db is changed. Sysmgr changes the path.

sysmgr will run through the /etc/passwd file and make adjustments to what shells and home directories of operators that are in the optim operator db. The default for an optim operator is /bin/sh.

Basically, she was in the wrong shell. Her path was changed by sysmgr...and it changed it back to the default, /bin/sh. In order to get her login to allow her to use FTP once again, they had to change it back to the /sbin/sh.

The cause was some change happened to the operator database, which caused sysmgr to change the optim users in the /etc/passwd file to their default properties.

--Kristin
P.S. Thanks for all of your replies!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts