General Dynamic DNS question

• WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Loc: Trailerparkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is Dynamic DNS and how does it work?

Im also not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but it seems like you linux guys know everything :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dynamic DNS is DNS that is dynamic :P

What that means is its a domain name on a non-static ip address. Where usually a DNS server will cache an IP for between 24 and 48 hours a DDNS server will cache it for only 5 minutes.
So when your IP changes, it updates the DNS and the domain name now points to your new IP.

I use one for my small shell / mail server
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome thx. It also looks like you have to pay for it as a service from someone else. Who would you recommend for DDNS that has a good price?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use http://www.namevision.net , domain registration is the same as a normal domain registration but you may have to pay for an update client (unless you use linux).

There are various update clients, i have one for my laptop and one for my server.
The linux update client is free and the Win32 update client is about £10.

When you have the update client just enter your DNS login info and select your registrar (namevision is Enom) then it will update the DNS every time it detects your ip change
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to host a webserver on a linux machine but its behind a router and not directly connected to the internet. Does this mean that I would have to still pay for the update client. Also is the update client a one time fee or a monthly fee.
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should check out DynDNS. They provide a free service which I currently use. If you have a Linksys router, it should support the DynDNS service, so you wouldn't need to run any software on your computer. Look for DDNS under Setup.
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im having trouble configuring my linux computer to get this DDNS working.

Generally my problem is that I dont know how/what I need to configure on my linux computer. I also dont really understand how its going to forward http request to the port on the linux server (im not using port 80) or if its even possible.
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can setup port forwarding under "Applications & Gaming". As for the "Domain name resolv fail" error, you should look to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your router at http://www.linksys.com/. Yours appears to be outdated, and other people have said that this fixes the problem. You shouldn't have to configure anything on your Linux box for dynamic DNS to work.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

A dynamic DNS is really no different to a static DNS except that it has about a 10 minute TTL, so that when you change it, the changes are propagated quicker.
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed

Post 3+ Months Ago

what about configuring my host name? Wouldnt my hostname have to be warriornation-dmz?
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope. Should work fine as is.
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed

Post 3+ Months Ago

What Im still confused about is how will the port forwarding work if the port is not specified in the resolving of the IP to the host name. Right now it would be resolving request to a web server to 24.254.9.53 which is then forwarded to 192.168.1.3 and the default port for web traffic is port 80.

What I think I need it to do is resolve the address 24.254.9.53:443 to the hostname and not 24.254.9.53:80

Anymore clarification?
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure I see where you're confused. If you're connection is a cable modem or DSL then ports 80 and 443 are likely blocked. People trying to get to your website won't be able to use the default ports. They'll have to use a URL like "http://warriornation-dmz.game-host.org:8080/" to get to your site. Then you'd set up port forwarding to direct 8080 to your web server. You'd also have to configure your web server to listen on port 8080. If you're using apache, you need a line like "Listen 8080" somewhere in your config files. You'd need to configure the particular site to be served up on that port too.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only way you can do a DNS on 24.254.9.53 and have it resolve to your hostname is if your ISP sets that up on THEIR DNS servers.

Your ISP owns that IP address. Reverse DNS is not important. FORWARD DNS (resolving the hostname to the IP) is what's important.

Why do you need it to request on port 443? Your ISP blocks port 80?
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed

Post 3+ Months Ago

PsyckBoy wrote:
I'm not sure I see where you're confused. If you're connection is a cable modem or DSL then ports 80 and 443 are likely blocked. People trying to get to your website won't be able to use the default ports. They'll have to use a URL like "http://warriornation-dmz.game-host.org:8080/" to get to your site. Then you'd set up port forwarding to direct 8080 to your web server. You'd also have to configure your web server to listen on port 8080. If you're using apache, you need a line like "Listen 8080" somewhere in your config files. You'd need to configure the particular site to be served up on that port too.

Ah ok now I get it. Its the people trying to connect to me need to specifiy the port and not DDNS. The port is not part of the host name or the domain name and needs to be specified by the users. Gotcha thanks.

I have learned a bit more about DDNS and it turns out that your service with DynDNS will be cancelled if you IP does not change after about 30 days. I have had the same IP for about 3 months so it looks like DDNS wont work anyway. Oh well. Thanks everyone for trying to help me. It has been much appreciated :)
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've probably had the same IP for quite a while too and they haven't cancelled my service. I believe the Linksys may send an update to DynDNS every 30 days or so to keep the service active. I wouldn't give up on it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts