So Gentoo installed successfully this time.

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

so i have the belief that last time i tried to install Gentoo, i was doing a stage 1 install rather than a stage 3 install because i just started it this morning before class and right now i *BELIEVE* i'm emerging gnome. but how long does it take? will it take this long to emerge kde? i know compiling everything is not a short process, but will it take hours? lol i have an Athlon 64 3700+ socket 939 @ 2.244GHz, 1GB ram.
mm...the networking was slightly confusing because with every other operating system i've installed (including windows), its recognized my marvell gigabit port as eth0 and my nvidia gigabit port as eth1 so when i set it up, i told it to use eth1 and added both to my /etc/conf.d/net file but when i rebooted i got errors until i finally removed the config_eth1 and dhcp_eth1 from my net file and had my lan cable plugged into my nvidia port. i still dont understand it. lol ANYWAYS enough rambling, i was really just curious as to how long its going to take before i can get to a desktop. lol thanks

// so that failed saying it couldn't download gtk+-2.6-smoothscroll-r5.patch and it was trying from cudlug.cudenver.edu[132.194.22.137]:80
is there another place i could get the file? or is there something i should be modifying to use dif. install sources? lol
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

6 days

Just kidding, but emerging KDE can take twice as long as Gnome. Here's a bit of a tip for you that'll drop *some* time off your emerges (though not much). Emerge something that you're going to want to emerge later that's dependant on lots of other packages. In other words, before you even emerged X, you could emerge konqueror and have that, KDE and X all emerged at the same time (because they're all interdependant, see?). The same principle applies to when you're using your Fedora system and yum install something that requires another package to be installed.

Not much help, I know - but perhaps it helps a little. Gentoo is something I tend to keep on servers: Who needs X on a server, right?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm...when i told it to emerge X it didn't know what i was talking about. lol when i tried to emerge gnome one time after i got a few problems fixed it said "<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!" so i was looking around on the gentoo forum, found a little bit, rebooted to gnome to add some options to my bootloader and on the gentoo option after root=/dev/hda3 i added: pic=biosirq pci=noacpi pci=irqroute pci=nosmp
i'm not sure if the nosmp really does anything as i have an Athlon 64 and not an X2 but its there. so then i rebooted and tried emerging gnome again but it couldn't get the package gdb_6.3-5.diff.gz i believe so i found it on my other pc, downloaded it / uploaded to my angelfire site, downloaded it through links and voila, it worked. so it kept going and then OF COURSE! it spouted another error.
*start cursing here*
Quote:
Error: media-plugins/gst-plugins-ffmpeg-0.8.4 failed.
Function src_compile, Line 40, Exitcode 2
(no error message)

*is annoyed*
so i said RAWR TO YOU and i did an emerge gdm. IT WORKED! holy *plum* something worked. lol links worked too, which is a very good thing. it helps immensely, but i want a desktop. so yes, gdm emerged...maybe kde will? i tried emerge kde-meta and it starts going...its going... *BONK* Kernel panic....
*start cursing twice as much here*
also - both times when i got the kernel panic, it completely froze my computer. so i had to hit the reset button for any response whatsoever. at this point i said screw it i feel like killing people so i rebooted to XP to play some counter-strike :] so....any suggestions? lol

*end cursing here*
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man gentoo hates you so. when i finished installing gentoo and had the plain command line and what not. after i type "emerge gnome" it just downloaded and compiled everthing no problem and i had a desktop. im guessing you did something wrong during the initial installationg of gentoo but yeah this is beyond me. did you use the handbook? if so did you follow it word for word?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, i did follow it.

yes, gentoo does hate me. but i sync'd emerge and then it said to update portage and my config files so i updated portage but i have no clue what config files its referring to.

?

// and i updated the kernel, and now it says that theres 25 config files in /etc that need to be updated, so i ran etc-update and i didnt know what to do so i did -1. ? lol
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

so supposedly i updated the kernel. but when i check, its not in my /boot folder.
i still can't get a desktop. i still can't update much of anything. i still get errors about it not being able to make things and that i'm missing something or that it can't find something or that it really does think its funny to frustrate me. lol
the only thing(s) i've been able to install are links, gdm, xchat, and bitchx.
the only thing(s) i've been able to use is links.

i hate gentoo :]

and for some reason now whenever i try to boot to fedora i get a kernel panic wanting to kill init. :D great.

did i mention i hate gentoo? :]

so since BOTH gentoo and fedora are broke i've been looking around distrowatch to see what other distro's they were talking about. currently i'm downloading PC BSD and Simply MEPIS. once one of them finish (mepis is > 1/2 way) i'm going to start Vector Linux downloading. i've recently acquired a lot of free time and i've never used a *bsd distro and PC BSD looks like itd be a good start...plus its origin is here in the US :]
mepis looks like theres a large community of support for eye candy ^_^ and its origin is also here in the US. i love to see the US producing such things..because M$ also originates here so the more distro's we produce, the more it seems we're releasing our death grip on windows. lol
vector linux just sounds good. it originates from canada...i've been to canada...its not a bad place. + they share a border with us..*shrug* it works.
lol i think there was another distro i was curious about...maybe once i get bored with these three i'll give debian & slackware a go again. the last time i burned a slackware cd was at v10.0, 12/21/04 lol .. i can't really remember if i did try installing it. pretty sure i did after debian but yea...you can tell how that went. any feelings either way about slackware? meh...i like graphical installers. i can deal with text based (one reason ubuntu doesn't appeal to me) but i just like them better.

but i have two things to say to gentoo: Goodbye && i hate you :]

hahah </end_rant>
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

really wish i could help you but i never in the 8 times i installed gentoo encounter any such problems. im gonna give mepis a look. see what its like since you say it has eye candy.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mepis is nice. debian based, samba works on the default install, mp3 support is SO easy to acquire as is ntfs support...its beautiful. lol enlightenment is in the apt repositories but its v0.16 and not 0.17 :( but *shrug* i'm liking mepis so far..
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i get the chance i will get it. the fact that its based off debian got my attention. but i dont know im thinking of trying slackware. never tried it before. also been wanting to try freebsd. undecided right now. have you ever tried freebsd?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have not tried freebsd but pcbsd is a unix operating system based on freebsd. its not a bad little OS, the installation is stupid simple. you tell it your keyboard setup, i believe your network preferences, and then it installs and wants you to give it the root password and a user and thats it. lol comes default with kde too...although i have NO clue what filesystem is uses. when i went to install mepis, it was like "dude....i have NO clue what fs that is.. :-\" lol. so i had to repartition my hdd (mepis comes with qtparted) and i've got all the partitions made i want for linux so next i'm going to install vector linux and then pcbsd again. but dude, it was weird...mepis first boots as a live cd, and then theres an icon on the desktop to install it to the hdd. loggin in is weird tho, because it has 3 users and they all have a password but i took a guess and figured the users passwords were also the users names and i was right. lol crazy stuff..
if you were more curious, i believe daemon guy uses freebsd so you could direct your questions towards him.

// oh yea, java works out of the box too. DAMN thats beautiful. lol not sure about flash, i'll have to go to a website that has flash and check but if java is there i'm guessing flash would be..?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree, Gentoo doesn't like you.

You shouldn't be seeing kernel panics just by doing an emerge and the idea that you are tells me that either your compiler flags are *very* wrong or (more likely) that you have a bad stick of RAM. The idea that FC suddenly won't boot either also sticks of RAM.

Have we been through bad RAM before? Seems I just had a conversation pertaining to this with someone here not too long ago. If you have more than one stick in there, feel both sticks, if one of them is quite a bit hotter than the other, pull the hot one out. If you only have 1 stick in there, just feel it, if it's almost hot enough to burn you it's bad.

That's not the only way to check this though, you can go into your BIOS and see what the reported memory is there. BIOS will miss bad RAM quite often, but sometimes you'll see missing RAM there (e.g.:240MB on a 256MB stick).

Anyway, that'd be the first place I'd look.

The Mepis live CD makes a great rescue disk, btw. I use that and Shirt Pocket Linux almost exclusively for that.

Weren't you using FC5 Test 2? If so, you might think about dropping back to FC4 until FC5 is officially released. Just my opinion.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Weren't you using FC5 Test 2? If so, you might think about dropping back to FC4 until FC5 is officially released. Just my opinion.

yeaa...i was. lol i have FC4 on cd & dvd, both 32 and 64 bit versions and i've been thinking about reinstalling it. but back when i had it installed, i had everything working and everything was the way i liked it and everything was basically perfect. That bored me. hahah FC5 Test 2 looks so much better though...have you seen it? Like, after the initial install it has the same boot / login screen as FC4 but once you get it updated to the new stuff and its got the new theme everywhere...its hott. lol

last i checked i was told i have like 1023MB ram, but i think that was using cpu-z and not checking in my bios. i think i may do both checks, thanks for the suggestion.
Shirt Pocket Linux? i've never heard of that one..of course i'm sure there are quite a few i've never heard of. lol i like the Austrumi iso ^_^ its handy...dangerous if your drunk, but handy otherwise. hahaha. my buddies roommate almost killed me over that one. hahaha. (i locked him out of his computer basically...and he's supposed to be A+ certified).

ANYWAYS the only thing thats annoying me about mepis right now, is i wanted KDE 3.5 so i added the repositories stated on the mepis.org/node/####.html page and when i tried updating to kde 3.5...it appeared to work but actually just removed all of kde. that wasn't very nice. now i'm trying to reinstall kde but if i do an "apt-get install kde" then it complains that a *plum* of other stuff isn't going to be installed so i'm unsure as to what i'm going to do about that. also, i'm running 1024x768 and dont have the option to go to 1280 and usually i do so i have to see whats up with that. and i do have the nvidia drivers installed.. but maybe they need to be updated? possibly.. i backed up / modified my sources.list and preferences for apt to the ones posted here: http://www.mepislovers.org/modules/newb ... 7&start=20
so i'm hoping that'll work to get things right.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but back when i had it installed, i had everything working and everything was the way i liked it and everything was basically perfect. That bored me.

aint that the truth. i was going to give another linux distro a shot but skyos is just calling my name. it looks soooooo sexy. ive decided to pay the small fee to become a beta tester : ) you guys should check it out. at first i thought it was another linux distro but upon closer look its a completely new OS built from scratch. i think its awesome at least.

http://www.skyos.org
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea dude, i was checking that out and it looks pretty sweet.
and i would try it out and donate, but i've just recently joined the ranks of the unemployed. lol so maybe when i get another job, but...yea
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha thats too bad. well i will let you know how it is once ive donated and installed and thoroughly used.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds good.

and if theres anything extra sweet, take a screeny ;) lol
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man