Gentoo Xorg -configure fails

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont know why and i can't really see an error where its like "THATS IT!", so maybe someone else can see the problem.. unluckily all i have currently is a picture i took of the screen with the last output. i'll retry and see if i can post a log of the prob. but this is what i have:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/a ... CF1629.jpg
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's happening is your Xorg.conf file or what ever it's called in gentoo is not correct. I had the same problem in FreeBSD so I copied a generic one from somewhere and it worked. You can do one of two things. You can try to configure it again following the instructions at:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

Or, you can try to use the generic file that I use for BSD. Let me know if you want it.

Once you get the X server to start, I'm sure that you'll want something better than Xterm in which case you can use KDE, gnome, enlightenment or whatever. Once you have installed one of those, you have to vi the xinitrc file so that it starts when you run startx.

After you do all that, read the Unix Haters Handbook written by the guys who started Unix. It was all a big joke and they were shocked when AT&T decided to use it.
http://www.simson.net/ref/ugh.pdf
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol thanks dude but uh.. i know :] i kind of didn't get the best unix os knowledge award from luck :} not saying that im the best at anything *nix whatsoever, just that i would think it would imply i do have at least a good amount of knowledge.. (sorry if that seems sarcastic)
i tried a couple different xorg.conf's and tried fixing xorg a couple times. thought i was almost successful when i emerge -DuvaN xorg-x11 'd successfully but it didn't help. so i decided to go with something someone else has already made and downloaded sabayon :] it's a nice desktop/live disk..i'll have to try out the 64 bit version installed as i've only used the 32 but someone else who's used it says its quite fast and they were very impressed..and this is a person developing a different live disk (supergamer)

but yea, i had to reconfigure the xorg.conf file on the livedvd when trying to install sabayon because it was trying to use settings beyond the capabilities of my monitor :] and i usually have to edit it on *ubuntu disks because for some reason my video card does not agree with the driver they provide on the disk. and i've tried the different desktop/window managers such as kde, gnome, xfce, enlightenment, fluxbox, icewm, jwm, etc...

thanks for trying though :]
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you knew all that, what was your original question? I thought you were stuck on the error.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i was, i just wasn't sure if there was something gentoo specific i needed to do like have a certain USE flag specified or wave a magic wand so that a fairy would appear and it would magically make things work :] yea i dont really like gentoo too much if you can't tell lol but when trying out sabayon i got the no screens found error, and then i removed a couple likes like model and vendor and i got that one to work so i'm almost wondering if it would have been something that easy? which is depressing b/c now i spent all that time compiling things for nothing =\ lol o well. such is life
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've compiled things for nothing as well. It happens. The thing about an X server is that it's really a stupid way to create a GUI. The first chapter in the Unix Haters Handbook is all about that. You won't stop laughing.
BTW, it's not Gentoo specific. The file names are different but that's about it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol nice... yea, and after posting i remembered that it kept complaining that the fglrx module didn't exist, even tho i could locate it myself and recompiled it several times.. i'm pretty sure that gentoo just hates me & my computer. lol because i installed the sabayon x86_64 minime cd and i've been having problems compiling things on that too. it may be because i keep changing things like the -march flag, but i want things compiled for my computer...i thought that was the point of gentoo. lol :shrug: oh well...if i could only get some kind of media player working on there i'd be happy. i'd just let it go compiling for the rest of eternity. gaim installed but everytime i try to run it, it just sits there. so theres probably a problem with a lib that didn't get updated when i installed it because that was installed after i updated the make.conf file and the libs were compiled and came on the disk. sigh. i'm starting to think that rpm hell isn't too hot anymore... at least i can listen to some music while i burn with frustration ^_^
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mentioned RPM. I went back to FreeBSD when I couldn't open the new RPM because I didn't have the new RPM. That was in the RedHat days. The ports collection on FreeBSD is nice once you get the hang of it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting...every time i've tried installing freebsd, i'd get through the install which was the most annoying thing i've ever had to sit through...six times. why can't they just set it up so that they get all of the packages they need from one cd, and then tell you to switch cd's and get the remaining packages they need from there? switching back and forth makes me not want to use it right then and there, lol but after rebooting..every time..the boot loader tells me "kernel not found"
:shrug:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are some bugs in the install but I never had to switch CDs like that. Sometimes, it's best to do an express install and then /stand/sysinstall which will add anything you want. I never had the kernel not found error unless I really did something wrong at a later date.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts