Gnome 3 Rant

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wanted to throw this out there:

Gnome 3 sucks! Whoever designed this can't possibly do any real work under it. I think we've reached the point where the Gnome desktop has been made user friendly to the point of being unusable.

The "Gnome Shell" interface is a HUGE step backward for productivity. Oh, it looks pretty and all, but 3 clicks to get to an application? Oh wait, I can open them "faster" if I start "TYPING" the app name! If I have to sit here and type to open stuff, why not just open a terminal where I at least have tab completion - and why did I buy a mouse? Let me be fair though, I can add (huge) launchers to a "favorite apps" dock that I can then launch with a just 2 clicks (1 click to get into that aspect of the shell and another to launch).

Then there's window management: No minimize buttons, no 1-click to navigate list of open windows. They claim this is great - that now when you're working in an application, it's just you and that application. That's great, but when I'm working, it's usually just me and 20-odd applications.

I even tried the fallback method, which is supposed to be like Gnome 2 in operation, but go ahead and add launchers to the panel and every time you click one, Gnome will crash. Couple that with no right-click function on the panel and... what? really? no right click? How am I supposed to move launchers to where I want? How am I supposed to remove them after I realize that clicking them crashed Gnome? Manually edit the menu xml files????

I've been using Gnome 2 since there's been one, so perhaps I'm just set in my ways, but my intent is to not use anything that requires me to use Gnome 3 if I want to use Gnome, including Fedora 15 (which, I've been using Fedora since there's been one too).

Perhaps when I have more time, I'll look at forking Gnome 2.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been using ubuntu for a while now and it is pure gold to me, i would not use any other linux distro anymore as i am quite happy with ubuntu with my over sized tux sitting on top of the computer protecting it from bill gates. haha

But i never like rants/flames but this does not sound like the friendly linux i know and love like i don't understand why anyone has anything bad to say about it.

But yea if it does not work for ya then change it around that is the best thing about linux you can do whatever you want with it no restriction.

Good luck man, may the tux be with you all ways.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I'm not usually one to post rants, but I'm extremely disappointed with what they've done to Gnome. Besides - the Linux forums here are way too quiet :D

Ubuntu will follow suit soon enough being this is destined to be "the" Gnome desktop. It sucks that in order to upgrade and still get what I want from it, it looks like I'll have to go in and recode the gnome-panel. Of course, it's great that I have that option, but I shouldn't have to. It used to be that things worked before they were released in a stable version, but I guess those days are gone.

For now anyway, I'm still using Fedora 14 quite happily.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

linuxforums.org is tha bomb for linux talk, lots of tux heads there haha

But man i am sure with the years of experience with linux i am sure you would know when they break they break down hard and impossible to fix at times hahaha

But still FTW Woot for tux
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've not been a linux guy -- save for SLES and RHEL at work on the X servers....

Thought I would give it a go on the desktop.

Installed Ubuntu, Natty Warhol. It's, interesting. Looks just like the interface for my wife's Mac -- and I am not sure how I feel about that.

Going to have to give it some time to decide if I dig it or not.
  • Bogey
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about the theme... what happens if you use a different theme... does that change the button layout or possibly make it more useable?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once you go Xmonad, you never go back :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts