Granting External Access On Dedicated Testing Server

• shibbyy05
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • shibbyy05
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am attempting to allow external viewing access for a testing environment that our previous server administrator (No longer working for us) set up. The issue is that we need the client to view the site but it is only viewable internally on the network. I have really limited information on the server environment other then I know the operating system is CentOs and he used VMWare to deploy the server. I have SSH access but have limited knowledge on this since I am a front end developer. If you can't help out fully then just pointing me in the right direction would be so very much appreciated!

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not certain I fully understand your situation, but I'll take a stab at it.

You have a server, that has an internal IP Address (192.168.something.something, or 10.something.something.something) and you want people outside your internal network to be able to see it?

Easiest way would be to set up a NAT or a proxy. Presuming you have an external site you could set up a NAT from your external IP to your internal IP on an off port, like 8080. So from ExternalIP:8080 -> InternalIP:80. A proxy is set up the same way; you simply proxy any request to your external IP on a specific port, to your internal IP on port 80.
  • shibbyy05
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • shibbyy05
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a Server Administrator guy so I may not be explaining myself properly enough for anyone to understand but thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

I guess in my experience, normally, I would have three servers. A local development server on my computer, a testing server on the network, and a production server which can be accessed externally. In this case, we had our old server guy deploy a web server using centos on a GoDaddy dedicated server. The issue was that the domain that he gave us (blah . blah . com) was not able to be accessed by the client and could only be accessed internally. It looks as if that domain was created by our internal DNS server but could only be used internally, so I was wondering how I could possibly have that domain also be used by the client externally?

I did end up giving the client just the IP to the server which works but I had to edit some tables in the database so that the base path was the IP instead of the domain.

Anyways, Daemonguy I think you did answer my question though. I'm just not exactly sure how I would do this with SSH since the testing server is offsite. The only way I know how to give external access is if the server was on site. I would just go into the router settings and forward port 80, then go to DynDNS and create a domain there. I just know that this is not secure and not feasible in a production setting.

Wish I knew more about this stuff!
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Soi it's hosted on a dedicated server at GoDaddy, and that server has an IP?

Assuming you have a DNS record then for your main site;
www.mymainsite.com, all you need to do is add another A record.
In the mymainsite.com zonefile;

test IN A <IP of test site>

Then give your external customers the test.mymainsite.com domain name and host.

What it sounds like if your DNS guy took a shortcut and either editing your internal DNS recrods to point to that IP, or even more nefarious, he editing everyone's HOST file to point at the IP when going to a specific name.domain.tld.

Either way, if you have a real IP which is accessible from the outside, and if you run your own DNS for your real site, it's trivial to add another hostname into the zone.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts