graphic card problem in RedHat 9

• gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone,

I'm almost completely new to Linux. I had an old computer for a while -my boss put it out as thrash and I picked it up, I even don't know what kind of hardware in it. Here is my problem:
during the installation I left default graphic card settings to S3 Trio 64 I believe and after it rebooted the X failed to start because of the wrong graphic driver. I tried to run Xconfigurator, but it doesn't start and I tried to see if I can guess what to chage in the /etc/X11/XF86config but seams like I can't. I thought there was one utility that could actually test out the graphic card and the screen resolution (I think i had it in RH5) it might be Xconfigurator, but it doesn't start.

Could you give me any advise oh how to get any further because I can't figure out a lot of things in the shell I need some X friendly interface I'm just a newby with Linux :)

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you tried X -configure?

there are a number of commands you can use, XConfigurator doesn't work for me either, but X -configure did. It should tell you what to type into the command line to test the new configuration.

It will save the configuration as XFree86config in /root/XFree86config.new

then you can just rename it and replace it with your old one in the /X11 directory, if it works

let us know if that helps or not
  • gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I alredy got help from someone localy :)

I looked in the log file, seamed like system couldn't find the BusID for the graphic card going through munch of different IDs. Then I lookes lspci - wrote down the BusID for the card (it was in hex) and the inserted it into XF86config under Section Device as BusID in decimal and magically it worked :) The only problem - my old computer is sucks, so slow - damn :x

Thanks though :)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool solution, have fun!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts