grub boot menu help (Fedora 5)

• biruru
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • biruru
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, i been using fedora for 2 days now, just today when i reboot from windows, this black screen pop up with this message:

GNU Grub version 0.97

[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, tab lists possible command completiions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename]

grub>

I don't know what to do to go to windows or fedora, someone please help me, as I don't know what is wrong? is the boot menu corrupted?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea thats not good. i'd say try reinstalling grub....

insert and boot to your fedora disk 1. at the boot prompt where you would simply hit Enter if you were going to install fedora, type "linux rescue" and then hit enter. it'll load stuff and go to a screen where you can select your language and keyboard map (the defaults are US so you can probably just hit Enter unless you don't want US. lol) then it'll ask you if you'd like to start the lan ports but theres no reason to do this because you're not going to need the internet to reinstally grub :] so tell it no. it'll do a little more stuff and search for your fedora installation and then tell you its mounted under /mnt/sysimage and you can chroot it. so do exactly that: chroot /mnt/sysimage . now if you only have one hard disk and want to install grub to the main hard disk and it's not a sata drive, then you would enter:
grub
grub-install /dev/hda
it should tell you the installation was successful and then you can type quit i believe to get out of the grub menu. or exit. and then exit and then exit and it should reboot. take out the disk and you should have your boot menu back. :] let us know how it goes
  • biruru
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • biruru
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, Anarachy SI, thanks for walking me through, your detail solution works. :D , now i'm good to go again.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome :]

welcome.
  • melwade
  • Born
  • Born
  • melwade

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if I have SATA Drives?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

doesn't matter.
the path to the drive would just be different. i.e. /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda
  • melwade
  • Born
  • Born
  • melwade

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried that and I get this error:

"The file /boo/grub/stage1 not read correctly."
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you have a /boot partition, or is it part of your root partition?
you may need to set your sata drive as the first boot device in your bios.
if you have a separate partition for /boot, then i believe you'd do grub-install /dev/sda# where # is the number of the partition it is, such as /dev/sda1.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts