GRUB won't load

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, i'm having a problem with GRUB where when i reboot my computer, it goes through checking the cd-rom drives, says the word GRUB and then reboots. it all happens rather fast as it took me having it go through this process about 5 times to figure out what it said after it checked the rom drives. so i booted to the rescue disk and tried editing the grub.conf file and tried doing a grub-install but none of it worked. i got sick of trying and booted to an xp cd and tried fixmbr but that did nothing. so then when i rebooted, i still had my xp disk in the drive but when it says "press any key to boot from the cd..." or whatever, i didn't press a key - and it went straight to booting my xp install. i have no clue how / why / etc. but it did. so now i can't access my 2 other os's.
also, i was trying a few different things in grub trying to get all 3 os's to boot, and the last time i restarted it did the GRUB loop. lol
so any ideas on how to fix it? thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

fixmbr "fixes" the MBR according to MS's opinion, and sets the MBR to boot whatever version of Windows is present.

It sounds to me that GRUB isn't finding a valid installation where indicated in the configuration file. Check your paths, partitions, and whatnot and re-install GRUB to the MBR.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, that is what fixmbr does. but i think i was "fixing" the mbr on the wrong hdd and i tried checking the paths & editing grub and i tried doing a grub-install etc. and nothing worked, so i went back to the recovery console and did a fixboot (which "fixes" the boot partition ;)) and it boots windows now. so i'm waiting til june 13 to download fc4 and i'm going to reinstall.
  • iOXeR
  • Student
  • Student
  • iOXeR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you install windows before or after you installed linux? I had this problem, sort of, because Windows had written over parts of the bootloader. From then on, I always installed linux last. :wink:
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i installed windows, then linux.. then another windows. but it didn't seem to affect the bootloader so i'm figuring it wrote a bootloader to the hdd it was on, which was the master hdd, and not the hdd linux / windows 1 was on. and i set up the bios to try to boot from my 2nd hdd so it just never tried the first. but then i had to figure out where the 2nd windows was located b/c fdisk came up with a bit of stuff and i was being stupid ^_^ but yea..i'm going to upgrade linux to FC4 in two days and HOPEFULLY that'll let me write a new boot loader..
  • shut up
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: china

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you can reinstall it!:)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

with uh....
Code: [ Select ]
grub-install

b/c i think i said i tried that ;)

pssh >:O stealer of my avatar.
i made that..it was originally a pic for a logon screen.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts