Is GTK the future of unix-based GUI development?

• a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all! :)

I like to develop programs in GTK (using C) and i love it. its more versatile and robust than win32 API "raw" development structure. first of all i must admit that i am not an experienced GTK programmer :rabbit: . so i'm basically a "new convert" in it with a flaming enthusiasm :onfire: . I have seen rival platforms like Qt (its not free like GTK..) but found GTK to be more friendly and easy-to-handle.

java, on the other hand, (with 'write once run anywhere' tagline) is more of limited to certain special requirements and is not loyal to either open source world of GNU or the closed sourced world of Microsoft. it is a different thing altogether!

:hmm: i think (seeing the current developments) GTK will hold fast for a long time to come.
and i really hope so.

bye
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never done much application development. I might look into trying GTK in the future. Is it good if you have Java experience?
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

no.. not related to java. in fact if you have ever done win32 programming in C (not C++ please note) you'll feel it is similar in certain aspects to GTK+. Yet they are different. GTK+ cannot be strictly called object-oriented like java (though it has OOP-like features somewhat). yet it wont hurt to have java experience :wink: .

plainly saying, if you like lots of coding with little GUI support you might like it. i like plain coding in java using barebone JDK! so i sort of **write** classes for GUI elements like buttons and layouts while creating a java program. same things can be done from any standard GUI enable java IDE for sure. it purely depends on what you like 8-) .

GTK+ programming is available through C or python or some other languages also i believe. python one is interpreted as you would expect. choose the one you prefer if you wish to give it a try.

regards
  • webspace
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Knappa, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
same things can be done from any standard GUI enable java IDE for sure.

I wish there was something a lot more like Visual Studio for Linux. But not made by Microsoft and doesn't crash all the time. :throwmonitor:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

webspace wrote:
I wish there was something a lot more like Visual Studio for Linux. But not made by Microsoft and doesn't crash all the time. :throwmonitor:

This is a necropost, but now I'm curious. What version of VS do you use, and what are you doing when it crashes?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts