GUI builder advice needed ......

• fox_hound_33
  • fox_hound_33

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

I need to develop an application that would be used as a simulator to test various custom algorithms. As I have never embarked on this kind of work, I need some advice:

1. Which GUI library to use in Linux, GTK+ or FLTK? The simulator application needs to output various non-standard GUI widgets like time line plots, various graphs like trees, bar charts, pie charts etc. The input from the user can also be visual, for example the user must be able to draw small circles or rectangles or arrows, drag to move these to a new location, expand/contract them etc. I guess these won’t come already built-in, meaning, I will be coding them. In such a case which of the libraries would be easier? Or is there any library that has these non-standard features already built-in?

2. C or C++? I have experience in C, however not much in C++. For the kind of application mentioned above which would offer a better, meaning, a more intuitive and flexible means of programming?

3. Does Linux have the equivalent of dll files as in Windows?

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For UI libraries, I'd look into wxWidgets.

It won't really matter, as long as you can structure your code well in whichever language you choose. C++ would be my personal choice just because I find OO code to be much more maintainable.

Linux has shared libraries (.so) that serve much the same purpose as Windows DLL's.
  • fox_hound_33
  • fox_hound_33

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input, i will look into wxWidgets.

The reason i asked about C or C++ is because certain builders like FLTK seem to prefer C++ or object oriented style of programming (i could be wrong here though). I was just wondering if using C with such builders would cause any difficulties or handicaps.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The industry leans heavily toward OO development, so a lot of tools are built to facilitate it. I doubt you'll run into very many problems using pure C unless the library specifically states that it requires C++.

I wish I was more familiar with the tools you're describing so as to be able to give better advice, but I've always done my UI programming by hand so my experience with them is limited.

As a side note, you mentioned that you have experience in C but not C++. C++ is not very difficult to pick up, especially if you already have a background in C. I'd check your local bookstore for a C++ reference book. I'm sure you could bring yourself up to speed within a weekend.

I own and recommend Sam's Teach Yourself C++ In 10 Minutes. It's an excellent book that doesn't waste any time going over the basics to C++.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts