Halo on Linux

• ckandes1
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ckandes1
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL (US)

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend was thinking about programming a patch to make halo compatible for linux. Tough stuff huh?

How long do you skilled programmers think a project like that would take, and how much do you think Bungie would buy it for? (they are willing to buy programs from non-proffessional programmers, my friend sold Halo Custom Edition to them, which allows you to import/make your own levels vehicles and weapons etc.)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

WINE HQ can run UT 2004.

http://www.winehq.com

it sometimes can run windows apps, or, can be updated to work with stuff, like for you you can get the source, and fix it up for the game.
  • ckandes1
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ckandes1

Post 3+ Months Ago

by the way ur sig is 3.09Kilobytes
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy wrote:
WINE HQ can run UT 2004.

http://www.winehq.com

it sometimes can run windows apps, or, can be updated to work with stuff, like for you you can get the source, and fix it up for the game.

There is Cedega that is specificly a wine "spin off" that is for playing games.
Just do a google search for it, or try this page.

Also I don't think you need wineHQ to play UT2K4, since I believe it is cross platform (win32, mac, and linux) so is americas army, which is a free download for linux, win32, and mac, from americaarmy.com (i think that is the url)
  • AthenasBane
  • Student
  • Student
  • AthenasBane
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know anything about the programming end of it, other than that i think wine would work...Bungie tries not to make their stuff too proprietary, I think. They would probably be really interested in it, has he talked to them about it?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant, Counter Strike Works in WINEHQ.. I was playing Unreal 2k4 at the time of that posting my mind shifted.

And what about my sig being 3.9? I was bored come on.
  • huezune
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • huezune
  • Loc: nil

Post 3+ Months Ago

can anyone tell me what is halo ? is it a program ? :wink:
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

huezune wrote:
can anyone tell me what is halo ? is it a program ? :wink:

It's a really popular x-box first person shooter game. I believe it is the top selling x-box game since the x-box came out.
They also made a PC version a while after.

You can find info at this website:
http://www.bungie.net/

And find more by searching google, though a lot of what you will find will be stuff for halo 2, which will probably be out next month. Both games have very good graphics, and pretty good gameplay.
  • huezune
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • huezune
  • Loc: nil

Post 3+ Months Ago

game! i played PC game : starcraft, CS, warcraft.....
just never came across halo....anyway now i know :shock:
  • ckandes1
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ckandes1

Post 3+ Months Ago

usually the bbest thing to do with bungie is make the prograsm first before you bring the idea to them. if you just have the idea, they'll take the idea and make the program. but if u already have the program, they'll buy it off of you.
  • |{urse
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got the halo demo to work fine on my debian box, the textures suck but the sound is in synch and theres very little lag, cedega failed to install the game for me and install hung on the "creating system icons" message. so i ctrl alt esc'd the installer (which was 99% complete), opened konsole cd'd my way to ~/.cedega/halo demo/c_drive/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Halo Trial, typed cedega halo.exe and *POOF*. the chat function doesn't work in multiplayer (which pisses me off to no end, theres nothing worse than pwning some retard night after night and never being able to ridicule him) beyond that and the lame textures the gameplay is faster than win or mac. :wink:
  • littledemon32
  • Born
  • Born
  • littledemon32

Post 3+ Months Ago

WINE
  • |{urse
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: Yeah... Wine.. what about wine? :shock:
  • Shardy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Shardy
  • Loc: Daytona Beach Fl.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm probably posting in the wrong forum, or better yet the wrong site, but I saw someone here from Daytona Beach, FL and I'm looking for people to play Halo2 with in a LAN enviroment. Anyone in or around Daytona Beach?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

that would probably be better suited in the general discussion on your own thread. hit the "Post new topic" link, it'll be great ;)
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think that patch would be really good, i have both halo one and two for my xbox and having it on linux would be cool!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts