2 Hards drives 1 Linux 1 WinNT. How do I make them get along

• Doublebass1963
  • Born
  • Born
  • Doublebass1963

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know too much about computers but I wanted to learn Linux. I downloaded RedHat9.0 and installed it without problem on 1 HD and kept my WinNT installed HD in the same computer. I have tried both as a master drive while the other acts as slave and I just can't get a boot option to come up. I know that this can be done, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. help!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Changing your mater was a good guess. What boot loader are you using (LILO or GRUB)?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doublebass1963 wrote:
I don't know too much about computers but I wanted to learn Linux. I downloaded RedHat9.0 and installed it without problem on 1 HD and kept my WinNT installed HD in the same computer. I have tried both as a master drive while the other acts as slave and I just can't get a boot option to come up. I know that this can be done, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. help!!

You need a boot time configurator. If you are running RH, look into LILO; here's a link to a mini How-To. When you install FreeBSD, it recognizes your NT install and asks whether or not you want the standard FBSD boot manager or not.

Cheers.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

RH9 ships with GRUB and LILO multiboot boot loaders. GRUB is installed by default.
  • Doublebass1963
  • Born
  • Born
  • Doublebass1963

Post 3+ Months Ago

And Grub was my default choice. Do I need to reinstall RH9 to get LILO? I found some information on rewriting a part of LILO to make the computer think WinNT is the Master even though physically it is setup to be a slave. supposedly this will bring up boot options at restart.
If yes is the answer to the reinstall question, how do I find the LILO bootloader file in order to make my necessary changes and get learning this Linux OS thing?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, trying to remember... been so long since I dual-booted a RH box.

You may try, after booting linux, running /usr/sbin/lilo /etc/lilo.conf -- provided /etc is where you have your lilo.conf. Doing that should, if I am not mistaken, reinstate lilo into the MBR.

You may have to boot from the CD, or make a boot disk from linux.

Cheers.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, LILO needs to exist in the MBR (on the master drive of the primary channel). It should have a record of both operating systems. It will then give you a menu to choose from. If I remember correctly, you have to be careful with NT because it is sensitive to partition changes.

Read the Linux+WindowsNT mini-HOWTO on the Linux Documentation Project

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+WinNT.html

A quick read suggests that this is everything you need to know.

P.S. You can do all the same with Grub... it's just that LILO has been around longer, documentation is easy to find, its stable, etc.

Grub, for me, is just a pretty looking LILO.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts