Have You Installed Linux From Scratch

• rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just curious... has anyone here installed Linux completely from scratch?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

What exactly do you mean by "from scratch"...?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess making the file system, installing the basic required software (shell utils, GCC, etc.) compiling your own Kernel, then installing all the apps individually as needed..

Rather than installing a whole distro at once.

I've done it a couple of times in the past. It's fun, but it can be a lot of hassle, and take a lot of time to get running sweet.

But, it's a fun project to do once or twice, just to get more used to the inner workings of Linux, and how it all interacts with each other.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

OoOo, that does sound fun. I really wish that I had a second computer that I could just experiment with. There are bunches of things like that that I'd like to try out. Messing up my current system really wouldn't be too fun, though. :-/

Ah well, maybe I can find an old, cheap machine to play with! :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I did it on an old 486 DX4/100 after I upgraded to a K6-233 (man, that was a while ago, heh)...

Back then, RedHat 5 was the latest, to give you a rough idea of the level all the software was at the time...

If you can find a 200-400Mhz box laying around though, you should be able to start one off a recent distro with a decent amount of RAM (128Meg or more)..

I started mine from LOAF (Linux on a Floppy) to make the ext2 filesystem. Then I got a precompiled GCC binary to compile the Kernel Source. Then once I'd installed the basic file system utils (ls, mkdir, etc.) and LILO, I could boot into Linux. From there, get the latest GCC source, compile that and overwrite the GCC binaries I'd setup earlier. Then just went from there installing whatever (libraries, XFree86, GIMP, etc.)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, basically that is what I mean by from scratch. I have done alllmost from scratch installs starting back in '94 with Slackware (v2 I think). In that case, I used a bare minimum install and a pre-compiled gcc to build the rest of the system (and later come back for the kernel).

Installing completely from scratch is a great way to learn the a Linux or BSD from the basement to the top floor (selecting your favourite decor along the way).

This project consumes a fair amount of time, especially on your first attempt. Working with someone who is/has done this sure helps.

I have a Sun Blade, iMac and i686... so can pick any platform to match someone else's experience.

Food for thought... Linux, Apache, PHP, mysql and bare essentials may be squeezed into something as small as 50MB. :twisted:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

that does sound like fun, but i've never got a kernel to compile for me so I don't know :(
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

What problems did you encounter? You should keep trying, its possible to squeeze some speed and stability out of a custom fit kernel.
  • Lieven
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys should definately check out LinuxFromScratch...

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

It's basically a book in pdf format which guides you through the whole process and clearly explains every step it takes to build your own system
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome link, thanks Lieven! :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts