Hello,noob tries Ubuntu 5.04

• Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, im running a "live" version of Ubuntu 5.04 of a dvd from a magazine, and i like what i see.

My only problem is that i can not seem to be able to map my hard drives to this os,i was wondering if need to do a true install or is there away i can play with this os without installing it

my native os is the dreaded xp no sps,
amd64 3400+
756 ddr400
80g seagate
80 gig maxtor
radeon 9200
gigabyte kvt800 mbrd
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would not consider myself an expert in ubuntu linux, and usually that means I would keep my trap shut, however I have found with most LiveOS CD's there is a mechanism in place to automatically mount your native environment. Knoppix has it, as does Freesbie.

In fact, I just Googled for Ubuntu live cd mount ntfs, and found an article (you need to register for free to get the pdf) in TUX magazine specifically regarding this on the Ubuntu LiveCD. Issue #3.
http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000135

From what I gather, this LiveCD version does exactly what Freesbie and Knoppix do; automounts the ntfs partitions, using a pre-existing symlink off the root directory. I would look in /mnt or something similar.

Understand the limitation of mounting NTFS shares in *nix; read-only. You will not be able to write to those partitions.

Cheers.
  • Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

aha, thanks, i will keep playing...
  • Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had an idea, buti cant find any ducumentation to support my theory...

is it possible to run ubuntu of a dvd,then map it to a linux formatted drive that is connected via usb2. so i can have my windows as my native os, but when i want things to go smoothly i can just use the dvd and external hard drive to do work and play music>

+ is there any emulationsoft ware that allows info on a win hd to be accesed to a linux os without making image drives using kde..or am i just completely confused at this point?

Your patience is inspirational as is yout dedication to the every flowing fountain of knowledge..
  • Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

still readibng through tux and apc articles..will post if ant brainstorms arise that may help others...but so far,Ubuntu and fedora are competing to claim me from the M$ empire...now if only NWN would run on linux.....
  • SJP
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Washington, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a utility that can be used on the windows side to copy files on linux ext2 partitions. This way you're not up *plum* creek without a paddle since mounting windows partitions from linux is read only. Go here:

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
  • Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome, thanks... i hate being up plum creek..
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* is just this forums way of saying you've been a naughty boy and thats concentrated evil coming out the back of you...

btw, ive never had a problem reading or writing to an ntfs drive from knoppix, only in ubuntu, otherwise its all been fine....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts