Help ! I dont know where to start?

• badspell68
  • Loc: NYC

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first time with Linux , years of Mac and Win, but I’m used to an easy install. Is there a simple download or disk image? It seems I have to download a tone of things. What is compiling and do I need to do this? I guess my question is: Is there any simple way to do this.
I have partition Magic have set a 10gig primary partition, installing on a P3 1.2 and with CD and floppy.
Help?
Trying to install SlackWare Linux

:shock:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slackware's site has a basic guide to installation:
http://www.slackware.com/install/

A forum full of knowledgeable Linux gurus is JustLinux and they have a large library of help files here: http://justlinux.com/nhf If you follow the Installation link, you can find information on what compiling is and how to do it.

Oh, and don't forget about Google! If you can't find an answer through it, then it doesn't exist. :wink:

I hope that you can find some answers, come back if you have some more specific questions! Good luck!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You forgot the all important link.

http://linuxiso.org

You can download the images for your installation cd's there, then reboot, run a cfdisk/fdisk and create your partitions.

Then run setup.

I'd suggest NOT using Slackware if you are looking for a pretty GUI based installation. I would recommend Mandrake for that purpose.

However you learn a lot with slackware so it's a tossup.
  • badspell68

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will XP dual boot or do I need something else?
  • badspell68

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can I add a different interface to improve its look? After reading the posts here it seemed a good idea to install Slakware to learn a thing or two.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you can dual boot with WinXP. In fact, I currently have a WinXP/Slackware 9.1 machine. But as Brandon said, installing Slackware (especially trying to dual boot) as your first Linux installation experience is not always fun. I do, however, encourage you to try it as making mistakes is always a great way to learn. :-) Just make sure that you have backed up all of your important Windows files and defragged before attempting the Linux installation.

As for the interface, there are many different window managers that you can try out. In fact, KDE and Gnome are really more customizable than the Windows desktop.
  • badspell68

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks
Sorry to be redundant, but what should I use to start the dual boot process
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you get to the text installation you'll hit something called LILO, just do as it says there, it should autmatically set it self up to either a boot disk, your master boot record, or the /boot directory you set up, (your choice, I would try MBR, never worked for me, and then /boot, then the disk as a last resort. You may need to play around in bios to choose which hardrive is booted from first.

The look and feel thing you get over real quick. Installation is blah, but your Windows Manager, KDE or Gnome, or a variety of others, is/are easily customizable to your own taste's.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

badspell68 wrote:
Thanks
Sorry to be redundant, but what should I use to start the dual boot process

I may be misunderstanding thequestion, but are you asking how to initialize the actual install in a dual-boot setup?

The basic idea is to go into your CMOS/BIOS setup and configure your system to boot to the CD-ROM drive first.

Save to CMOS, place the bootable CD-R with the ISO on it into the drive and reboot.

Some linux boot managers tend to fubar the boot loader, so I prefer not to use either LiLo or Grub, just the boot disc.

The linux OS will offer you some choices as to how to partition enough space for your distro.

Once the install is complete and linux is working as it should, don't forget to reset the CMOS/BIOS to boot to either your A:\ or C:\ drives.

Hope this helps...

C.C.
  • badspell68

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, but I was actually looking how to install a boot manager or to see if one was included with XP.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think there's one included with XP, but it only allows you to boot to other versions of windows IIRC. Micro$oft doesn't acknowledge the existence of any operating systems other than Windows ;)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I explained up further that the bootloader will be installed with linux.
  • OrmigaGrande
  • Born
  • Born
  • OrmigaGrande
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

BadSpell68...

You get your dual boot going?
  • badspell68

Post 3+ Months Ago

No yet. Problem down-oadng disk 2 of slackerware. Hope to jump on it tonight or AM.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

badspell68 wrote:
...problem downloading..."slackerware"...

I thought you were downloading linux, not windows :twisted:
  • badspell68

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strange! I try to burn the image from
LinuxISO.org - A place to learn about, download, and discuss Linux.
the second disk will not finish
Just as the disk is finishing it pops out - the index is not able to burn. -Using easy CD creator
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

You want to Md5 those ISO's before buring to insure they are the correct digest and haven't been altered.

You can get the Md5 checksum for your slack discs off of your distros site, and a MD5 checksum tool @ http://winmd5sum.solidblue.biz/

Md5 insures the integrity of your downloaded file is the same from its source,
and will also insure that it hasn't been modified (like having an installed trojan) from its original source. It also insures you have a sane (uncorrupt) file volume.

Hth :D

P.S. FreeBSD only requires 1 disc ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts